Guam March 30th - April 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taiwanate

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello,

I will be in Guam with my wife and baby for a week and would like to do a couple days of diving while I am there. I was wondering if there is anyone that would like to buddy up on a local dive boat. Normally my wife is my dive buddy but she has taken to the sideline since our daughter was born less than a year ago. I am looking at diving through MDA. If there are any other recommendations or local insights I would greatly appreciate them.

By the way, the main reason for going to Guam is because my wife lived there when she younger and would like to visit again before we move back to the states. Therefore a side trip to another island isn't possible.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Take it easy,

Nate

Thanks Guamrider.

I have looked all over the MDA site and I have been considering the shore dives that MDA puts on, but I would like to make it out on the boat as well. I just don't know if it would be easy to find a dive buddy on the boat or not. Seeing as I am an instructor I don't think anyone would really have a problem with me tagging along but I am not real familiar with the dive culture there, and I have traveled to some places where divers seem pretty private and don't care for an outsider getting in their group. Don't want to ruin anyone's day so I was hoping to maybe arrange with someone on here before getting to Guam. Not to worried though because MDA and other Guam dive info sites seem pretty laid back and like a good group of individuals. I am really looking forward to getting there and seeing some of the local dive sites! Thanks again for the info.

Nate

Nate, MDA runs a daily boat dive that is usually filed with tourists from other dive shops who contract spots on the boat. You could go along ion these, but the best dives are the "local"dive trips on the weekends. This is when they use another of their boats (same size as the other) and visit more spots not dove by the tour boats.

I'm quite certain that there would be no problem with you tagging along with others on these trips. This happens all the time.

Thanks again Guamdiver. I will probably plan on the weekend boat, and hearing you mention that tag a longs are not uncommon helps put me a bit more at ease. Hopefully our paths might cross at the dive shop so I can shake your hand and meet you in person. If not, safe diving and take it easy.

Nate

You have two choices for weekends. The first is the free beach dives that are Sat. and Sun. at 8 and 1. Everyone is welcome to these dives!! The group that goes out is very welcoming and friendly and would love to show you around. The weekend boat dives are also a good choice. You do not need a buddy to sign up for these dives. If you arrive without a buddy they will help to pair you up with someone. One thing you should know about the weekend boat dives is that they fill up. If you want to go on one sign up as soon as you can. They have a 24 hour cancellation policy. Also, if you plan on doing a few boat dives ask them about their 5 star program to save you some money.

and Nate, to answer a veiled question, the dive culture on Guam is laid back... You'll have a great time.

Happy bubbles,

Another Nate

Back
Top Bottom