Trip to Rocky Point, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdkorn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am planning on a trip to Rocky Point, Mexico later this month. Any suggestions on good places to dive? I have searched online and in the forums and the most recient info is from 2007-2009...

Many thanks,

Brian

Isla San Jorge is my recommendation but is far from Pto. Peñasco. If you want to venture 10kms of sand in 4x4, or if you have good off road skills with low tire presure on sand; Then drive about 25 km on road 35 towards the south, then just before Ranch Sahuaro you will find a CFE electrical substation, take the dirt road to the west, pass the salines, and then drive along the Sand on San Jorge Peninsula about 5 Km until you reach the north point and the land ends. There is a fishing labor camp at this point, you may reach a deal paying with cash "and gasoline" for someone to take you to the Island. Don't expect to dive in the same day you reach a deal with the fisherman's, better make the arrangements for the next day. The South-west area of the island has big rocks in the bottom and large fishes; here I saw a sea lion with a fresh wound / large part of his body missing from a shark attack. On the East side the bottom is sandy and shallow.

Last edited:
I have done this ^ with Sunandfun back in June. Viz was 15' at best, still a good dive and it was the best 'critter' dive yet. We were surrounded by a lot of sea lions.
Not much in the way of beach dives....sandy bottom and extreme tides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom