Mares icon hd net very important please read!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark260165

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
On returning from a diving holiday, I noticed that the clock and calender to be wrong, instead of being five hours ahead of UK time it was days & hours out, I corrected it and assumed I may have set it incorrectly in the first place.

A month later it was wrong again but thought I may not have got round to correcting it after my holiday, I changed it again.
Then on the 9th of Decenber I charged it (as was diving the next day) & again it was wrong, my wife wrote in her diary that I had corrected it.

This weekend It has done it again and could have been extreamley serious indeed, I am an instructor and on saturday 18th Feb I did three dives, two open water dives (3 & 4) & an advanced Navigation dive, the next day 19th feb I did a wreck dive at 1pm, here is the problem, the computer has again gone crazy and the date changed between saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, it thinks I did the dive on the 10th Feb at 18:20 some ten days earlier, therefore did not take into account any residual nitrogen from the previous days dives!!!
As it was cold (5 degrees) I started my ascent when the computer gave me 8 mins of no dec time left & I did a four minute safty stop (thanks to my buddy).

In the computers log book it shows the three dives on the 18th as 2,3 & 4 and the 19th dive (computer thinks 10th) as dive one!!!!

I am extreamly worried about this issue, its life threatening & I do remember other posts about date changes!
Divers using the ICON HD BEWARE PLEASE!!!

anyone else???????

Me too! I thought i was going crazy. Last month i had to reset the date and time on one of them as it was out - I thought i must have somehow mis-set it when i first set them up.

Prompted by your post, I just went and checked our two computers. Both were definately set correctly last time we used them. One now has a time / date of 8.11am on the 12th Feb 2012. It should be displaying 9.53am on the 22nd Feb 2012. The other computer is spot on.

So one of mine has lost approx 10 days as well!

Both are running code 2.02.

Last edited:
Yes it sounds like a safety issue, because time is a variable in the algorithms. I hope you reported this to Mares.

I just noticed that two other divers in the other ICON thread report the same thing. So that's at least 4 people on SB who have the same problem with these units resetting date unexpectedly.

It happend to me twice allready, however it was before i went diving. I stopped using mares comp becouse of that problem. Looks to me like Mares is waiting for some accident to happen. When they will have big lawsuit on their hands, maybe they will fix this problem.

@mark260165

as I posted in another thread, I watched that behaviour too, between the first and second dive of a day. But did you check the correctness of Surface, DSAT, and noflight time? I did and it seems to be correct for me! Although the date was wrong the 2nd dive was shown as repeat dive and also the correct surface intervall was shown.
I asked MARES for the faults on their facebook site and got the answer that only the log is affected, but not the DSAT and NoFlight Time calculation.

Pumuckel57

Hi Pumuckle, Yes I did check, thats the worrying thing, after three dives the day before it should have counted the next days dive as a repetitive dive, it didn't.
Mares say they give you a no fly time of 24 hours after Deco or repetative dives, when my computer came off charge on the morning some 16 hours after getting out the water from the last dive the previous day it was completely clear, here is what the Icon HD manual says....
"The remaining desaturation time (DESAT TIME): this is calculated by the decompression model in the computer. Any dive started while there is remaining desaturation on your computer is considered a repetitive dive, meaning that Icon HD accounts for the pre-existing nitrogen load in your body.
- The no-fl y time (NO-FLY TIME): this is the time during which an exposure to the reduced pressure inside the cabin of an airplane could cause decompression sickness. Icon HD employs, as recommended by NOAA, DAN and other agencies, a standard 12-hour (nodeco non-repetitive dives) or 24-hour (deco and repetitive dives) countdown. Hence you may find a
situation in which the desaturation time is shorter than the no-fly time. This is simply the consequence of the desaturation
time being calculated by the algorithm based on the actual dive profile, while the no-fly time is an accepted standard in the diving industry. Since the real effect of flying after diving has never been fully investigated, this approach fits with our philosophy."

I'm sure you understand, I dont want to play Russian Roulette with decompression sickness, I want to be able to trust my computer.
Would you be happy to go away for a weeks diving with your computer acting as it is at the moment????
I for one wouldn't, I need to be 100% sure that my Icon is tracking my nitrogen properly.

My icon changed date/time on me several times, but only the log was affeceted. The desat time as well as the No-fly times were correct, but don't be fooled by the manual like @mark260165.

Even though the text you wrote is copied from the manual, that is NOT how the icon calculates no-fly. The biggest difference is that the icon does not apply a strick 24h no-fly after 2 repetitive dives (a repetative dive for the icon is a dive which starts before the desat timer runs out). But instead of 24 hours, I rarely got more than 16-18 hours of desat, making my next day morning dive NOT a part of the series, but a new dive (as the desat timer was nulled).

I'm guessing the residual nitrogen algorithm was changed or maybe the algorithm described in the manual applies only to the most conservative setting (P2).

Maybe the setting in the standard algorithm (P0), and the intermediate one (P1) are less conservative with the residual nitrogen.

If you want more safety, switch to the P2 setting.

OK, you guys may be happy for your computer to change the date & time as you think its only effecting the log, well thats your prerogative, for me I am not happy for my £1200 dive computer to do this.
I accepted the transmitter problem, I accepted that the bluetooth on the wrist unit doesn't sleep so runs your battery down however, changing the time and date is for me, unacceptable.
My unit is already on its way to Mares UK for testing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom