Cheap lodgings recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about diving? Is it easier/harder to get yourself and your gear to and from the pier? (Sorry that's like 6 questions in one lol) Gear storage?

What about diving? Is it easier/harder to get yourself and your gear to and from the pier? (Sorry that's like 6 questions in one lol) Gear storage?
That would depend in large part on who you are diving with. If you are diving with an op that picks up in town, it's a fairly short walk (a few blocks) or a 20 peso taxi ride if you are really lazy. If you have to go to caleta, then it's about a 80 peso taxi ride. But that is the rate regardless of where you are staying in town. I don't believe any of these cheap places referenced have gear storage. You just find a spot to hang it out to dry and then keep it in your room unless you are staying with an op that keeps, rinses and stores all your gear. :D

It's not as bad as getting up at 4 in the morning to drive from south jersey to make a 7 am boat in Belmar.I have it easy I store a set of gear year around at my dive shop in Cozumel so just have to get me to the shop every morning,but most divers would only have to get gear to the pier on the first and last day.It also could limit who you dive with as not everyone picks up downtown.I like to walk so make the daily trek from downtown to Villablanca everyday I dive,consider it part of my exercise program.I really like staying downtown and enjoy all the small local restaurants,and cantinas Cozumel has to offer.

bahia is across the street from the ocean and aldora pier. price includes large breakfast buffet at casa mexicana.
pepita is just inland a block from the square.
i have never stayed at either but from what i have heard you can't go wrong with which ever you pick.

+1 for Pepita.
Their webpage is never updated, it's been quoting the same US price for a couple of years. Last March, I paid 400 pesos/room, including AC, fridge, bathroom. Quiet, clean, nice folks, 1 block from the Plaza, super easy walk to the ferry, Aldora and Aqua Safari piers. Just bring a wheeled bag if you have to carry all your gear to and from the dive shop. Gear can be rinsed under the shower and hung there or in the enclosed courtyard.

Stayed there 4 times (usually while looking for an appartment to rent), only made a reservation once (called the number on the website, they didn't ask for any money but had my name written down and the room ready when I showed up a few weeks later). I like the downstairs rooms better, they tend to be cooler because of the shady courtyard and quieter than the upstairs ones that face the Milano clothing store (store plays music until they close around 11 pm). Plus no stairs to lug the gear and luggage and you can access the free wifi.

Heard very good things from someone who had friends staying at the Vilma, but it's further North, so not as convenient to walk to the piers.

If your budget is really tight, I think the cheapest rooms at hotel Saolina (spelling?) start at around 300 pesos. Don't know what the rooms are like, if they include AC or what. I think it's on Rosado Salas near Avenida 15 (it's run by Manuel who owns the fishing shop in that area).

Unless you plan on not sleeping until the wee hours (esp. Thursday through Saturday), avoid staying on Rosado Salas between Melgar and 10th : too many karaoke bars…

As suggested by njones, you can wait till you're on the island for the invasion to look around and book a place. Most of the budget local hotels don't have dynamic websites or partnerships with travel agencies allowing you to make online reservations anyways.
Cheap local places usually fill up during the high season for nationals (and/or cheap European backpackers), ie : Xmas/NY, Carnaval, Semana Santa and July-August school vacations. I think you'll be safe in May-June.

I vote for Hotel Pepita too......great place in the $30 range. I have friends who stay there for an entire month every year in January and visiting them is so much fun with all the folks hanging out in the courtyard! Free morning coffee and the market is just up the street.

Ann and Betsy, do you think it would be hard to get a room at the Hotel Pepita or any of the other ones mentioned on the dates of June 26-29 and July 7-15?

Back
Top Bottom