Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't know of any human endeavour that is better tackled solitary, rather than by a team. That's just my belief. I don't know of anyone who doesn't benefit from a helping hand when they are under stress or in difficulty.

This came from a pretty well balanced post I thought but I would offer a counter viewpoint to this. Just as we cannot know how we will respond to stess until a degree of experience has passed so too, can we not know how a buddy will respond. With instabuddies this experience "bank" just isn't possible. Therefore, insta diving with a mindset that ones buddy will be the solution to ones problem can be more dangerous than diving with a solo mentality.

I have, on a number of occasions, asked a member of a buddy team I was diving with "where's your knife" or "where's your SMB" only to get the reply - "my buddy has that".

As a diver I try very hard to be a good buddy when diving with a team but I also try very hard to never be in a position wherein I need to rely on their assistance. I beleive the buddy system is a good concept for most but the way it is taught is sub optimal. From the start, divers whould be pushed to be independent in their actions and then to bring that degree of skill to their buddy teams.

Now, can you help me on with my fins and reach my regulator - I know it's back there somewhere...

Solo diving is dangerous, crazy and should be outlawed.

Solo divers shoulde be banned from Scubaboard, banned from public speaking, and they all should be sterilized.

70years ago, there was a bunch of people that thought like you- lucky enough we spanked them good and proper!
I think that political party is now outlawed in that particular country....

I'm frequently surprised by the way in which comments meant to be seen as satire are misinterpreted. This can be so disturbing that I have, on occasion, placed my mask on my forehead to signal my distress. I get stares from other shoppers at the mall, but I see no alternative. There's no point to mof expressions of discontent when diving, because I'm completely alone in the water. Those who fail to recognize satire should be subjected to an enforced diet of bland food and reality tv shows for an indefinite period, unless they are already on such a regimen.

I think evolutionary theory has something to say on freak abnormal occurrences in the generation of off-branch sub-species. Perhaps there is a DNA test to predict which branch of homo sapien development has a latent capacity to survive alone underwater.

Pretty sure that the great-grandchildren will begin showing more obvious traits, such as webbed feet, gills and an affinity towards small yellow cylinders.

Homo Solus Subaquaticus

I'll have you know that I've seen BOTH Waterworld AND X-Men!!!

Will they prefer BP/W or Jacket-style BCs?

BP/W or Jacket style BCs? Neither. I think a combination of inflated egos and swelled heads will provide all the buoyancy needed.

Yup, it was. That was his first post, and I was trying to let him know that the were myriads of dedicated places to go get the info. Too harsh? Didn't mean it that way, but, as my wife says, I am socially retarded for sure.

So what is your opinion on split fins? :D

Allright, here's a question for all of you… how many of you solo dive. I've mostly dove on vacation as a single diver, that is my wife doesn't dive, so i usually end up getting paired up with another single diver. I dont know how many times i've looked around for my buddy only to find him heading in the opposite direction or allready far enough away that i may as well be solo diving.

One thing this has taught me is self reliance. I always have a "what if" plan in the back of my head. TDI actually offers a solo diving course, so what do you think? OW course teaches to always dive with a buddy, but lately i've been wondering why apony bottle and acalm head arent just as good.

When is a pony bottle and a calm head not enough? When you become entangled in a monofilamentgill net. I've soloed for decades but I am well aware that I'm not able to handle every situation that might arise. Of course there is no guarantee that a buddy is going to be capable either. Sometimes divers die in pairs or even groups. You pay your money and take your chances.

I agree completely with DevonDiver.

Solo Diving is not for beginners.
You not only have to be a highly proficient diver but also psychologically strong.
Equipment should also be evaluated very carefully. I do not solo unless I am completely redundant. That includes two of everything that I need to survive. For example: Two masks, BC Devices, SMBs, Computers etc... I even carry a small stainless mirror for bubble checks and issue identification where I normally can't see.

The Dive Environment also plays a huge role. Solo deep cave diving is much more perilous than diving at 30 feet in warm tropical open waters.

If you want to solo, then get the appropriate training. After you have received the training you will be in a better position to decide if it is a good idea or not...

Solo Diving is not for beginners.

I learned to dive reading a book and diving Solo. I was in the water with my buddy when we practiced buddy breathing (1 set of SCUBA).

Granted the gear now can let you get into more trouble than the gear I learned with, but there are more luxuries like SPG's add Octo's. Of course it was back in the day that people knew and understood they were responsible for their own actions.

Rule #1 of Solo Diving:
Don't dive with an idiot.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom