Bitter sweet day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
52 years ago this week I received my first certification from NAUI. In October 1976 my current team was formed and has grown to what it is today without a single loss of time accident. Lots of sore muscles, nicks, scratches, ear infections and tears but no injuries that stopped anyone from doing their job. We’ve come a long way from wet suits and double hose regulators to dry suits and Auga’s.

Today we did both surface ice and ice diving. Again it was a great day with the weather cooperating and only one skinned shin without any blood. FNG will learn that ice is slick.

But it was a bummer of a day. It was my last training with the team as a full time deputy. This Friday I turn in my vehicle at the end of my shift and get a ride home. My official last day is the 29th but I’ll be burning a few days off until them. I work the 28th, my birthday and the 29th ends it.

I’m feeling good about the quality of the team and have full confidence they will be able to handle what ever comes up. It will be rare that I respond to a rescue but I’ll be there for recoveries and trainings for as long as they’ll have me.

Lots of mixed emotions over retiring but it’s time. I can’t be a young snotty nosed punk forever. Any ideas for mounting a pony on a walker?

Last edited:
Congratulations on a long career, and thanks for your service .
Best wishes for a happy and healthy retirement.

Last edited:
I know you were an asset for your department and team...I am glad you have been an asset here. Your experiences that you share serve all well that want to learn from them.

Congratulations on your long and devoted career. Please keep working with us here.

Congrats Gary. I feel safe in saying that the Team will be diminished without you there. I am glad that you have survived your career and have the opportunity to retire and move on to the next chapter of your life. I hope that you will remain a part of this forum and share your vast knowledge and experience for others to learn.

Good luck, good health, and good times!

Dan

Congrats Gary! Try to wait at least a week before installing the turbo on the walker OK?

Thats along career you can be real proud of!

Congratulations, Gary!!!

Now, you can mentor and teach the rest of us! :D

Thank you for serving.

Congratulations sir,

Only been there a few times, but I can't imagine too many better places to be retired than Idaho. That's beautiful country.

Congrats and hats off to you sir. It is a special person that makes the protection of others his career. It's time to play!

It isn’t as over as I thought I was. I turned most of my cop gear in yesterday and I gave my pager to the gal that handles the pager system. She handed it right back and said to keep it. DUH, at 0730 this morning I did my exit interview so it is officially over but they won’t let me out the door. That’s good because I don’t want to go. The under Sheriff grabbed me today and asked me to stay but he understands why I’m leaving. I'm not really leaving because all I’m doing is getting my check from another area and for the most part picking when and what hours I want to work.

What was cool is that they offered me a NEW Glock 21 with all kinds of fancy stuff on it. I turned it down to keep my old one which has a serial # of GD316 which are my initials and radio number. Can’t let that one go to some FNG.

I spent 7 years as a reserve prior to going full time. Now my plan is to do another 7 years as a reserve on the exit end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom