Anyone use Dive With Martin lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're pondering a more southern hotel location than usual for a possible upcoming trip. We used to use DWM back in the days when we used to stay at La Ceiba, and when Martin was still around and running the show. We've been using others on recent trips based partly on convenience (and we still might stick with our current tried-and-true). Are they still what they were--a pretty good basic op? Our main thing is to be able to use a shop that doesn't dictate dive times and allows pairs to go up as they run low on air. Deal killer is any op that tells everyone to be back on the boat after 45 minutes, an hour, or whatever. Bonus points for having enough boats going out to be able to segregate divers by experience level, at least somewhat, and for letting guests have input on the site selection. Do they have any especially good DMs currently?

I dove with DWM in August. They are a great operation. We averaged 1 hour bottom times, some dive longer. I used them rather than the resort op due to the 45 min dive limit. Another thought if max bottom time is your goal would be Aldora as they use steel 100 and 120 tanks. I've dove with them before and are also a good option too (though a bit more pricey).

I'll second the recommend for Orlando! DWM also has AL100s, which I use. As you know, they have fast boats - ours was often the first boat to many of the Southern dive sites. Can't speak highly enough of Orlando and DWM!!! Have fun, no matter. tom

Their boat went past mine this morning and everyone on board looked like they were having a great time! One boat went by us this morning that I don't believe was a DWM boat but it had an older, chubby guy with a big white beard wearing a red skin. Dude looked like Santa recovering after Christmas.

Bit of a sidetrack, but AL100s are the worst tanks i've ever used and would never recommend them. Floaty, bulky, and heavy....a triple disaster. If you really need more air than an AL80 for cozumel diving you might consider working on air consumption (well, we all can work on that) or go for the HP steel.

Well, having been in the 100AL club, it is BETTER that than being first on the boat. Just get plenty of lead on cuz they float at the end like an SOB...... My air consumption got to the point that 100AL air put me in deco. Now on 80 nitrox, I get on the boat with the last of them so all is good. Nothing wrong with a 100 though if you need it though and most everyone can get them which keeps your options open.

Have not dove with DWM in awhile, but used to dive with them all the time and never had a complaint. I know you asked if anyone had dove with them lately :) Wanted to give my approval of the dive op from past experience.

Will be using them in June. Finally made my decision on trying this op for the first time this summer. Hopefully I can report back on some fantastic dives!!!

Thanks for everyone's input. This was for our trip back in early January. We ended up back at Blue Angel after all, so we didn't end up using Dive With Martin--but if circumstances were right, I'd have no problem going back to them. As an aside, we had to find another place to stay before we could move into Blue Angel. We stayed downtown in a cheaper local hotel. It was kind of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom