Channel Islands diving: place to rent large tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like merxlin notes, I don't literally mean our boat cylinders are truly "sacrificial". Rather, we just try to limit ourselves to one set of cylinders that we're ok with having to get whipped/tumbled more often than the others. It's not a big deal and pretty cheap.

Of course I'd LOVE not having to deal with wet fills (and we do try to minimize them by blowing out the valves and reminding the operators to blow out their whips), but alas, it does seem to be a local inevitability at this point.

I wouldn't let it discourage you from diving off the boats here, but if you really want to maintain the cleanliness of your personal cylinders, probably best to look for rentals. Hopefully someone knows of a place that rents larger cylinders.

I think the shop on the dock is closed for good.

John

Nope still open. Here is the link to the shop on the Truth Aquatics pier: SEA Landing Contact Us They have steel 95's (largest they have). $14 first day, $7 a day after.

Last edited:
I'm going to be doing a live aboard soon and I normally use HP130 tanks to get extended dive times for underwater photography. It was suggested to me to not take my own tanks to avoid having to get them O2 cleaned again. Are there any local dive shops there that rent HP120s or 130s? My minimum is definitely 100s if 120s can't be had.

The truth aquatics office will rent you LP95 on a pier., i would call them ahead. Thats what i plan to do. They pump air only as of last Oct on Truth boats.
With LP95 you will run out of bt faster than out of gas IMHO. If you still need bit more gas, take a 19cf bottle, will serve you as a bail out as well.

Also, the compressors on the Truth boats will only get your tanks up to about 3000psi, so you may be better off with a low pressure tank anyway. You'll get more gas out of a full low pressure 95 than you will an HP100 at 3000psi. Obviously you'll still have more with the HP130 but I don't think I've ever seen anywhere that rents those.

Have you tried getting a HP fill on a Truth Aquatics boat? I read on their website that they can fill to 3500 PSI.

When I was out with them (admittedly it may vary between their boats and I don't remember which boat I was on. I think the Vision) they filled to 3000. And that's what they told me they could do when I had asked them on the phone before the trip. They may have changed it since then.

According to Truth Aquatics (today), the Vision fills to 3500 psi.

According to Truth Aquatics (today), the Vision fills to 3500 psi.

I was out on the Vision this past weekend, several fills to 3300 in my steel 100. It was a limited load with just 20 divers. With more divers the deck hands have occasionally been pressed for time and 3000-3100 fills have happened. But in those cases I have asked for a top off and all was good. I've been using my own tank with them for three years, 5 or 6 trips a year, and no rust detected. And Sea Landing is open and will indeed rent you a LP 95.

Kevin,
Where did you go on the Vision last weekend? The weather didn't look too good, so I am curious where you were able to dive.

Back
Top Bottom