Celebrating 50 years on SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome back from Florida drBill. Wow 50 years in the ocean, nice.
Keep on diving.

Thanks. Unfortunately 8 of those years were in fresh water (mostly cleaning the deep wells in swimming pools), so just 42 in salt.

Congratulations Dr. Bill, isn't it great to continue doing something you love for so long.

With any luck, I'll be reaching the mark next year. From my first SCUBA dive I knew I'd be diving the rest of my life, just didn't know it would be this long.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Congrats Dr. Bill. You made me realize that in 2 months, I will have been certified for 29 years! :shocked: I hope to still be diving in another 21 years!
Time flies when you are underwater. Glad I was able to dive with you during those 50 years.

Congratulations on your milestone. Look forward to many more years of reading your column.

Well, after yesterday's dive, 50 years has taught me little! Dove solo to 108 ft to get some rare video footage. A large cloud of "dust" got stirred up ahead of me and vis dropped to 10 ft. Was getting to my turn-around point and went to activate my digital compass to find the direction back to shore. It wouldn't go into compass mode. Ended up with a slow ascent and multiple stops, hearing boat traffic as I approached 20 ft. Finally surfaced holding my camera rig high above my head so boats would hit it (it's insured). That was the only time I was in any danger as I had sufficient gas (plus my pony), but it was a longer surface swim back than I expected... and worse, I never got the footage I descended to get! Maybe I need a refresher course.

Congrats Dr. Bill & I'm just a year behind you & their's always hope.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom