Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my predator. Had a pursuit prior to that. Have never dived the X1 although my buddy has one. Personally I LOVE the fact that the predator gives me my Po2 in great big numbers right in the middle of the screen. Love the newest upgrade showing different colors for deco. Love the wireless download to perfectly functioning logbook software that was free to download and upgrade.

Love the fact the Shearwater is always improving the software and sending emails to download for free the latest upgrade. Love the fantastic customer service I have personally received.

One example being when I scratched the screen. I had no reason to expect them to fix anything for free but after exchanging several emails we determined I had damaged not only the screen protector but also the screen itself. They shipped me a new screen, along with several new screen protectors to install as needed. Shipped to Europe at no cost to me. THAT will always get my repeat business.

He included instructions as to how to change the screen myself which I did and have had no problems with.

Leads me to another advantage. If you scratch the screen on the X1, what's it take to fix it? I changed out the screen in 10 minutes for a new one and my unit is perfect once again.

I could go on singing their praises but I have no doubt many X1 users could do the same :D

What software do you already have? Downloading the Multi-Deco DiveLog Manager for the X1 is pretty strait forward and free.
Here is a direct link:
MultiDeco-X1 - download
It is the first (PC) and second (Mac) buttons after the user manual.
Same for v-planner here:
V-Planner Live VPM-B dive decompression software - download

Shearwater and the firmware for the x1, as well as their respective dive log software are different and not interchangeable, as far as I'm aware.

Ah, I see my confusion. I saw "multi-deco" as this software: MultiDeco dive decompression software - New install Key codes

MultiDeco is a decompression program that uses several decompression models in one program. These include the Varying Permeability Model (VPM-B) and the Bühlmann ZHL-16 B and C models. It includes the Gradient Factor (GF) and Gradient factor surfacing (GFS) method addons.

Valéry;6222583:
Jax, the divelog manager for the x1 and the dr5 are the same, for the sw it's the one you see on the pic you posted.
The dive log of the x1 can be found here: MultiDeco-X1 - download but it is useless without an x1 or a dr5.

Like Ross said the divelog manager of the x1 is very complete and display all kind of imaginable info related to your dive.

Sorry texas torpedo i was typing and didn't read your post

Some have mentioned that they find the PC user intereface of the Dive Log Manager for PC not very friendly or intuitive. I hoped to look at it. I guess I've been spoiled by Uwatec, where I can go to the site and pull down any software or manuals one wishes. (Yes, I have the manual for the X1.)

Some have mentioned that they find the PC user intereface of the Dive Log Manager for PC not very friendly or intuitive. I hoped to look at it. I guess I've been spoiled by Uwatec, where I can go to the site and pull down any software or manuals one wishes. (Yes, I have the manual for the X1.)

Since you downloaded the divelog manager go to the "dive logs" tab, and press the "help" button.
That's the only manual I'm aware of (but Ross would certainly help you better than me).

I don't think the interface is non-intuitive. It's an extremely simple program to use. It does record and present a lot of data, and I respect the fact that your profiles upload to Ross's database (undoubtedly the most extensive database of technical dives anywhere) and that you are prompted to submit reports to DAN (although I wish that, if you haven't done that in some time, you could start somewhere other than at the first one you missed, because having that many to do keeps me from doing any of them).

What I don't like about the logging software is that any information on the dive that is not from the computer is entered in narrative form, and is therefore not searchable. I like to be able to search a database of my dives for the ones I did in the Red Sea, or my cave dives, and you can't index things that way in DiveLog Manager. So I export to DivingLog, which gives me the ability to do that. And Ross recently told me that he's changed the export function so that you can now do more than one dive at once, which is much nicer.

I have to say that, over the years I've had my X1, when I've had a complaint or criticism of something in the software, Ross has either been able to explain to me where I'm screwing up, or he has incorporated my requests in a subsequent update. And updates are easy to download, and they're free.

I don't know what you would do if you scratched an X1's screen. I haven't managed to do it yet (about three years and 500 dives on the things).

Leads me to another advantage. If you scratch the screen on the X1, what's it take to fix it? I changed out the screen in 10 minutes for a new one and my unit is perfect once again.
There is no user option to switch out the screen but that appears to be fairly unique to the Shearwater when it comes to dive computers. Is there any pressure testing involved or do you just screw it on and go?

I've got 100's of dives on my X1's and I've done everything from tech-wreck, cavern, intro, full cave, and more recently cave side-mount where I was literally pulling myself through cracks and crevices, both with lights on and off, etc..
While they have a few nicks and scratches on the corners from the abuse, neither screen has so much as a scratch on them.. I do have the Zagg protectors for only the screen real estate, but they are not worse for the wear either.
I don't think screen scratches are much of an issue..

How did you scratch yours deep enough to go through the screen protector into the screen itself?

There is no user option to switch out the screen but that appears to be fairly unique to the Shearwater when it comes to dive computers. Is there any pressure testing involved or do you just screw it on and go?

I've got 100's of dives on my X1's and I've done everything from tech-wreck, cavern, intro, full cave, and more recently cave side-mount where I was literally pulling myself through cracks and crevices, both with lights on and off, etc..
While they have a few nicks and scratches on the corners from the abuse, neither screen has so much as a scratch on them.. I do have the Zagg protectors for only the screen real estate, but they are not worse for the wear either.
I don't think screen scratches are much of an issue..

How did you scratch yours deep enough to go through the screen protector into the screen itself?

I am not completely sure. It might have been fighting the scooter and camera in heavy current trying to climb the insufficient ladder into the boat in Croatia, although I didn't notice it till later.

I am not completely sure. It might have been fighting the scooter and camera in heavy current trying to climb the insufficient ladder into the boat in Croatia, although I didn't notice it till later.

Better scratched than cracked while still wet! :thumbs-up
Glad they took care of you... I think one thing most people that have either an X1 or a Predator will agree on is that both companies have excellent customer service..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom