Best ship wreck, real not artificial.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best wreck dive I've done to date is the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea. It's an incredible wreck with a ton of things to see, and a very interesting story. We also dove the Salem Express, which is a very sad wreck (lots of lives lost there) and the Rosalie Mueller, both of which are real wrecks. The Red Sea is full of them.

USS New York (ACR-2) in Subic Bay. Depth 60-130'. Water Temp 28-30 Celcius. Viz 2-20m (seasonal - monsoons effect turbidity).

Built and launched in 1891, as second in a line of 'new' armored cruisers. After service in the Spanish-American War, she was upgraded with the addition of twin 8" guns front and back. Thereafter, she served as the flagship of the U.S. Asiatic Fleet and Pacific Squadron. Also saw service in the First World War and other smaller conflicts. As she aged, she was renamed the USS Saratoga and ultimately the USS Rochester.

In the early stages of US involvement in World War 2, the Japanese advance on the Philippines required deft strategic maneuvering by the US Navy and strategic withdraw from the navy facilities at Subic Bay. The (then) USS Rochester was ill-equipped to maintain pace with a more modern navy so the decision was taken to scuttle her in harbor - rather than risking the Japanese capturing her large guns - which could have been put to use bombarding the besieged US forces on the Batan peninsular.

The wreck is located only 5 minutes boat trip from the beach/dock in Subic Bay. It is in a very protected location, with little current or high waves (even during strong storms). She lies in moderately shallow water, allowing easy access by divers beyond OW level. The main 8" guns and propellers are still attached to the wreck and make excellent viewing. The only drawback is that the wreck is situated close to the Olongapo River outflow - causing an an estuarial effect, where high rainfall and tidal movements can significantly change water turbidity (visibility) over the course of a day. During monsoon season, with high rainfall dramatically increasing the river outflow, the water on the wreck can be decidedly brackish.

The wreck offers a range of penetration options, from simple swim-throughs to complex and dangerous technical penetrations. Her spectacular engine rooms are easily accessible to those with the correct training and equipment.

More details on the USS New York and other Subic Bay wrecks

nydraw.jpg

ny10.jpg

1891USSNewYork580.jpg

USS-New-York-Penetration.jpg

619_subic_-_uss_new_york1.jpg

USS-New-York-2.jpg

ny14.jpg

220px-Uss_new_york_1898.jpg

Attachments

• nydraw.jpg
    nydraw.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 957
The Great lakes. many of the wrecks from 0-60 have been ravaged by storms. the wrecks from 70-130 are fantastic then there are wrecks that deeper that are untouched. There are wooden wrecks form the late 1800's that are still in tack and some with intact standing rigging. The cold fresh water preserves the wrecks. and diving fresh water makes the whole rinse shower soak thing.
My favorite Eber Ward Shipwreck, September, 2008 - YouTube Eber Ward (yes it is 140' to the mud) (you could hang on the deck at about 105')
next sandusky Diving the Straits of Mackinac - YouTube around 90'
I really really miss diving the straights of mack.
Never went around the corner. The thunder bay underwater preserve has some cooler better but deeper wrecks. Very little over there within 100'.
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary | Shiphunt
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Underwater

I agree with the Great Lakes recommendations. The water there is spectacularly clear but cold. The wrecks there are as intact as they were when they hit the bottom.

There are some good wrecks off the Red Sea coast of Saudi Arabia, my favourite is still the "Mecca Wreck" which involves a 2 km walk out from the shore (no boats are allowed near it as it sits just south of the Naval Air Base south of Jeddah). However Saudi is not exactly a tourist destination so it will remain a dive site for ex-pats only. Not sure what condition it is in, last time I dived it was in 96.

Here in UAE we have the "Energy Determination" Energy Determination

Lots of wrecks off North Carolina though much closer to your home and as WreckDiver mentions above lots in the Great Lakes too

I was looking around and wondered what is the best ship wreck you can dive. Im talking within 100' or so. Something like a pirate ship, Spanish galleon... Where is it, what is it called and why. Just your own opinions, obviously to each his own.

Pirate ships and galleons are quite different vessels. Galleons were HUGE (for the time) cargo carriers. Pirate vessels were small, fast attack boats very much like the pirate vessels off of Somalia today. A typical pirate vessel was likely to be a two masted sailing vessel rigged fore-and-aft in the 60 to 120 ft range. If that is the kind of wreck you want to dive you can find several in Great Lakes waters. I see that you are located in Illinois. Try checking out "St. Mary". She is a 120 ft two masted schooner that sank off of Highland Park, Illinois in Lake Michigan in 1860.

The Benwood is an interesting dive even though shallow and a shell is all that is left (45').

The city of Washington is also shallow with little left (25'). There are spur groove reef close so you can do both a reef and the city! They feed fish here so you see lots of Jewfish, nurse sharks. etc.

These are two wrecks that novice divers can do in the Keys. These are real wrecks as opposed to the fake wrecks! :D

The Grove is one of my favorites, and real enough to claim lives annually. Penetration is safe for experienced divers in the Grove as long as you stay on the outside edge. You can run most of the ship like this. It is very large and getting lost if penetrating beyond the perimeter is a real possibility. If one wants to penetrate further in get a cave cert with everything needed for Deco and real penetration. It is nicely cleaned up with no areas that silt up easily. That may change over time.

Try the WWII wrecks along the North Carolina coast, there are Allied vessels sunk by U Boats, and U Boats

Most of the wrecks you describe are non-existent today because of there wood construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom