Need Buddy for Search/Recovery Dive, Sat. 5-29, Eagle Mountain Lake.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy folks!! (yes, I am still alive)

Have need for a dive buddy for a simple search/recovery dive in Eagle Moutain Lake. A fisherman buddy of one of my good customers contacted me needing a diver to recover a $600 boat propeller in 12 feet of water. He's offered a small fee to recover it. So here is a chance to get your head wet, blow some bubbles and make it worth your time.

We'd like to do this tomorrow in the morning.

Important Requirement: I want to do this with a buddy with whom I dove with before and am confident in their abilities. So if I have not met you yet, or dove with you, please do not respond.

Am trying to set something up fairly quickly so I can call him back to confirm timing.

Since I won't be returning here in time to check on replies, I am asking you to call me at my place of business, Denton County Auto Recycling, 940-387-5202. If you reply to this message or send me a PM, I won't pick it up in time.

Thanks!

--Mike Farlow

PS. For those long time friends who would like to catch up, please email me since I am not an active participant here and won't get your open threads or private messages.

Thanks to ScubaTooth, I found someone who can help me.

Now we get to see if the old "Even a blind dog finds a bone/propeller" saying is true or not.

Hi Mike,

I am glad to hear that you found a buddy. Props that cost that much are usually not made of aluminum so if it's, here's my guess, stainless I wonder if an amazingly sensitive magnetometer (treasure finding technology) could help you locate that? I have used things like this to test highly ferrous metal but never to look for something like a boat prop. If you can't find it let me know and I might be able to send you an interesting gadget. I am using a certain component in a certain project that I think could have intriguing alternate uses and this fits the bill.

Toe

Yes,

It's a SS prop. My hope is when it spun off it didn't mud itself in. My guess is that it did. I know some people who have UW search stuff, but the search would have cost more than the prop is worth.

TwoBit

TexasMike:
Howdy folks!! (yes, I am still alive)

Have need for a dive buddy for a simple search/recovery dive in Eagle Moutain Lake. A fisherman buddy of one of my good customers contacted me needing a diver to recover a $600 boat propeller in 12 feet of water. He's offered a small fee to recover it. So here is a chance to get your head wet, blow some bubbles and make it worth your time.

We'd like to do this tomorrow in the morning.

Important Requirement: I want to do this with a buddy with whom I dove with before and am confident in their abilities. So if I have not met you yet, or dove with you, please do not respond.

Am trying to set something up fairly quickly so I can call him back to confirm timing.

Since I won't be returning here in time to check on replies, I am asking you to call me at my place of business, Denton County Auto Recycling, 940-387-5202. If you reply to this message or send me a PM, I won't pick it up in time.

Thanks!

--Mike Farlow

PS. For those long time friends who would like to catch up, please email me since I am not an active participant here and won't get your open threads or private messages.

Well,

Did you find it? I used to do a lot of that kind of stuff. I used to do it with a buddy. If we didn't have a lot of tree stumps, etc. to deal with, we just spread out and dragged a long length of chain. We could hear it "ping' when it struck metal. Most of what we were doing was recovering lost motors for insurance companies. Always low viz work.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom