Shoulder release in BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After looking at this Golem buckle a little more I am not sure it would work as well as a cam buckle in this application — more secure but harder to use. From my perspective, the purpose of a shoulder release on a harness that tightens the shoulder by pulling the belly-band is for easy doffing. This buckle looks like it requires two hands to release and would be difficult to do in the water “by feel” wearing gloves. One hand operation is really desirable, especially in high currents where you need one hand for a drift line.

I just take a steel weight belt buckle and but it below the d-ring on the rib area. It's perfectly strong been doing it for years with singles, doubles, and the rebreather. It's totally out of the way of stages an everything else and it's like $10.

I just take a steel weight belt buckle and but it below the d-ring on the rib area. It's perfectly strong been doing it for years with singles, doubles, and the rebreather. It's totally out of the way of stages an everything else and it's like $10.

on the bottom or top (is the tag [a.k.a. "free"] end from the shoulder or the waist?)

I put my buckle on the waist side so that I can reach over with my right hand and flip it up to open.

For reasons that are non-negotiable and that I don't care to go into, I'm looking at putting a shoulder release into one of my backplates.

On my older backpacks that I dive without a crotchstrap, I use a release because I keep the shoulder straps much tighter. However, on those I use a weight belt buckle on the left shoulder, released by pulling down towards my chest. With a wing attached, I'm not sure this would be effective because of the inflator hose. So, I'm considering putting it on my right shoulder. I've gone through in my mind everything that might catch on it and it seems like it wouldn't be so bad. Comments? Alternate suggestions?

Plastic quick releases are probably not an option because I have something like three days to get this sorted, which pretty much limits me to scissors+buckle solutions. It's a shame because I actually have a 'deluxe harness' lying around, but it's in storage too far away to deal with in time.

HeresyStamp.png

After looking at this Golem buckle a little more I am not sure it would work as well as a cam buckle in this application — more secure but harder to use. From my perspective, the purpose of a shoulder release on a harness that tightens the shoulder by pulling the belly-band is for easy doffing. This buckle looks like it requires two hands to release and would be difficult to do in the water “by feel” wearing gloves. One hand operation is really desirable, especially in high currents where you need one hand for a drift line.

Actually the Golem G2 harness is easy to release with one hand. Just lift the tab and the buckle will slide open.

If you're going to do it, go with the Golem harness.

472_3_.jpg
472_5_.jpg
481.jpg

Here's one if you don't like plastic.

i'd put the quick-release above the d-ring if you clip a backup light to it secured with bike tire bands (DIR style). Otherwise the quick-release could be in the way of the backup light or whatever else you clip there. fwiw, i have a regular plastic quick-release on an otherwise hog harness, but this one looks a lot nicer (they didn't have these metal ones when I rigged mine).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom