spare mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the GUE standards are that the team always needs at least one backup mask. Bob suggests that he'll always volunteer to carry the backup mask for the team, and I've followed his suggestion, and I'll always carry the backup mask for my team... =)

I have moved up to Halcyon Explorer pockets on the drysuit...

im not sold on the whole team backup mask thing. if you need a backup mask, take your own. one that's adjusted for you and one that fits your face and one you know is in good condition.

Plus I learned in C1 and C2 that a backup mask only lasts about a minute anyway, so why carry one?

Are you talking about the class ? Waouw, very courageous. Was thinking more about taking a full bag of backup masks, hoping the devil instrutor would give-up before i run out of masks... But i'm very naive ;-)

Why I always have a backup mask for every dive..... Day 5 of my PDIC class we were running line inside a clean wreck in about 60ft of water......... I approved the tie off and my team (two of us) headed into a tight section in the bow till it opened up for the next tie off. After approval we moved along inside to the next tie off but then my mask was taken. While on line I reached in my pocket for my back up and then it was taken. Ok, guess he wants me blind. I followed the line till I bumped into my buddy and he handed me his back up mask. He is half my size and i could not get the mask to clear no mater what i did. The mask had a little spot in the corner i could see out of ( not funny at the time). After a few more kicks on the way out my buddy had his mask taken and we switched positions then I started to lead us out with touch contact. When we made it to the upline and started to clean up ( got our masks back) we noticed we were missing two deco bottles, back up lights, OPV valves, and our pride.

im not sold on the whole team backup mask thing. if you need a backup mask, take your own. one that's adjusted for you and one that fits your face and one you know is in good condition.

that's the point he's trying to make... i think i was trying to be too subtle...

I only take it when doing decompression diving. Anything else just thumb the dive and go up to the safety stop. I typically dive warm water and use contacts.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom