Info on a particular dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eieio_24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking for a little information on a local dive shop. A friend of mine wants to become open water certified before May and a trip to the Caribbean. She is considering using Deep Blue Scuba due to price. I personally have not visited Deep Blue, or have any first hand information on their facilities or quality of business or instruction. Neither have I heard anyone on ScubaBoard mention them or know that any of my couple of buds who also dive have ever visited their shop.

So, any useful information or insight to the pros or cons of Deep Blue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all...

If I am not mistaken, Deep Blue used to have a shop in south Austin that closed over 7 years ago. To the best of my knowledge, they still have a shop in the San Antonio area. If a SA shop works for your friend, my personal choice would be Duggan's operation in Universal City.

Ok, so maybe I was not so clear on the particular Deep Blue Scuba dive shop I was hoping to get a few reviews on.

I am somewhat near the Austin, TX area, and so is my friend who seeks her certification. The particular Deep Blue Scuba dive shop she is possibly interested in obtaining her instruction is the Deep Blue shop that is along Research Blvd / US 183 and near Duval, in north Austin. On-line I found what seems to be a current website for them. Any shred of intel on this particular dive shop would be very much appreciated. Thanks again y'all.

In north Austin you have three choices, Deep Blue, Dive World and Scubaland.

Of the three my first choice would be Scubaland. They have a great pool and good working relationship with Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba (which you will want to use if the lake doesn't rise a lot in the next few months). If you can get a class with Robert Weiss as the instructor, take it. Robert is a great guy (also the owner of Lake Travis Scuba) and fantastic instructor.

I have never liked the vibe at Dive World and they have had some problems with their rental gear (dig deep enough and there was a thread about it on SB). In the past the owner of Deep Blue had some issues getting C cards for some of his students (no first hand knowledge just heard it on the news a couple years ago).

In central Austin you also have Tom's, excellent shop (Harris Casey certified my wife) and I really like the owner, Warren Roseberry. Southwest, you have Oakhill Scuba, my personal choice. Mack and Nick are great to work with.

As a heads up, Tom's will be having their annual "sidewalk" sale Feb 18th, Saturday. Great chance to get gear at really decent prices.

Edit. The shop I was originally thinking of was Deep Blue Adventures in San Antonio. They had a shop in the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center about 7 years ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom