Need island suggestions for summer family vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveflick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have been to the big island once a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. We dove one day near Kona before family obligations overtook us. This summer we are heading back to the islands again. My wife and our three sons all dive. Three of us are advanced certified. Two of our sons have dove quite a bit with us in the Caribbean and they are 18 and 14 but our 11 year old will be on his first dive trip. Does anyone have some suggestions for an island and what side we should stay on? We typically try to rent a house on vrbo and stay away from hotels. Appreciate any suggestions you might have:D

Maui is my favorite island since there's a lot to do both topside and underwater, and there are great beaches. The shore diving is excellent and you can boat dive to 4 different islands (Maui, Molokini, Molokai, and Lanai).

I will recommend that regardless of what island you decide on, hire a guide for your first few dives if you decide to shore dive. The marine life in Hawaii is prolific and unique, but you need to know what you're looking for since they aren't always so obvious. A good guide can make the difference between an okay dive and an outstanding one in Hawaii.

I'm in the process of setting up a house on the beach in Kailua on Oahu for the summer for my sister and her family and my parents. I saw this post and thought I'd share the resource I'm using to check out house beach rentals:

Accommodations - Oahu

That is a link to the ones on the east side of Oahu, but there is houses there on all island. Hope you have a good trip!

You have young ones. Maui has VERY easy shore dives to get the confidence up.

When we go to Maui all we do is shore dive. Drag a flag and have fun! If you want to do advanced dives like 5 caves get ahold of Shaka Doug he knows his stuff and will show you a great time!

For ease of shore diving, I usually go to Big Island with Maui a close second. Either way you're bound to have a good vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom