Monastery questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting how the UC programs seem to be the only ones that think surf training is a good use of training time. Everyone else just says that it's too hard or don't dive on big days.
Are the UC programs geared toward people who are diving just for the hell of it or to people who are using diving as a component to something bigger? I'm a lazy SOB who dives because it is fun and the last thing I want to do is fight the ocean.

Are the UC programs geared toward people who are diving just for the hell of it or to people who are using diving as a component to something bigger? I'm a lazy SOB who dives because it is fun and the last thing I want to do is fight the ocean.

They are geared toward people who need to dive to get their science done. But here's a big secret: most anyone can take them through extension; all the scientists need qualified buddies, so you get not just a course but entry to a community of highly qualified divers who are doing interesting stuff and who NEED YOUR HELP! Your efforts and expenses, on their behalf, are also tax deductible.

About 40% of the people I train (and used to train) are non-scientists who want to participate as buddy divers. I welcomed them since because two scientists trading off buddying is rather inefficient, and we do not permit same ocean buddies doing separate simultaneous projects.

They are geared toward people who need to dive to get their science done. But here's a big secret: most anyone can take them through extension; all the scientists need qualified buddies, so you get not just a course but entry to a community of highly qualified divers who are doing interesting stuff and who NEED YOUR HELP! Your efforts and expenses, on their behalf, are also tax deductible.

About 40% of the people I train (and used to train) are non-scientists who want to participate as buddy divers. I welcomed them since because two scientists trading off buddying is rather inefficient, and we do not permit same ocean buddies doing separate simultaneous projects.

id be happy to get some rough entry training if you could help.

-A

If you're coming to Hawaii, give me a shout, but there must be someone in the Monterey doing it.

Speaking strictly for UCSC, there's the scientific and recreational dive program. Divers wishing to enter the scientific program must go through basic, adv, and rescue in a recreational program (doesn't have to be UCSC).
Now days the two programs are split pretty definitively because of our instructor roster. It used to be that the scientific instructors taught the recreational scuba dept and the scientific dept.

There's plenty of non-science majors participating in the recreational program currently.

The nearness of very deep water is one of the reasons for diving there. But you are right ... that needs to be part of the plan.

If you're coming to Hawaii, give me a shout, but there must be someone in the Monterey doing it.

I got my entry training if you will on Makaha beach and the other beach i can remeber after it.. its fun, but really it would be quite hard in doubles.
I'll be there and i'll ping you :)

I got my entry training if you will on Makaha beach and the other beach i can remember after it.. its fun, but really it would be quite hard in doubles.
I'll be there and i'll ping you :)
Andrew when are you going to the Big Island? Adeline and I will be there the last week of May staying on the Kona side. She has not dove warm water since before she was certified (She started training with CMAS in France) and I haven't dove warmish water in years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom