Things To Do In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for putting this thread together Roxanne. It should be a sticky because I'll bet everybody who goes will be checking this thread out many times.

I hope to go to the Sunday night fiesta in town square this year. I was watching the preparation last year and I'll bet it's a lot of fun. Time to sharpen up the salsa and rumba skills. :)

Don't forget the Pirate Cruise! It is a ton of fun for kids and adults. We do it every year...

Pirate cruise rocks, I got drunk as a skunk on that thing a few years ago, funny how many of those drinks you can put away, those little plastic cups they use will sneak up on you!

Thanks for putting this thread together Roxanne. It should be a sticky because I'll bet everybody who goes will be checking this thread out many times.

Thanks! I also heard that there may be a 4th of July festivities in town this year. I'll know more when we get closer to the date.

I hope to go to the Sunday night fiesta in town square this year. I was watching the preparation last year and I'll bet it's a lot of fun. Time to sharpen up the salsa and rumba skills. :)
So does this mean you'll be joining us again this year?

Pirate cruise rocks, I got drunk as a skunk on that thing a few years ago, funny how many of those drinks you can put away, those little plastic cups they use will sneak up on you!
Been there done that. Sometime small is good. Can you imagine if the cups were large. :drunks:

I also heard that there may be a 4th of July festivities in town this year.

Interesting. I wouldn't think they'd celebrate the United States independence day but then again, why not? Another good excuse to throw back a few margaritas, eh? :banana:

So does this mean you'll be joining us again this year?

Well, yeah, of course. :cool2:

Unless something catastrophic happens, I'll be there. :)

From Wikipedia

Culture

Festival of El Cedral in Cozumel

To this day a historic festival is held in the small town of El Cedral, in the south of Cozumel Island at the end of April. This annual event is said to have been started over 150 years ago by Casimiro Cárdenas.
Cárdenas was one of a group that fled to the island from the village of Saban, on the mainland, after an attack during the War of the Castes. The attackers killed many other villagers, but Cárdenas survived whilst clutching a small wooden cross.
Legend has it that Cárdenas vowed to start an annual festival wherever he settled, to honor the religious power of this crucifix. Today, the original Holy Cross Festival forms part of the wider Festival of El Cedral, which includes fairs, traditional feasts, rodeos, bullfights, music and competitions. The celebrations last about 5 days in all and are held every year at the end of April or beginning of May.

This gig is a blast !! I went about fifteen years ago. It's in a large clearing in the middle of the southern jungle, down around the Iberostar. They had a bull ring where they had cock fights in the morning, bull fights in the afternoon, boxing in the evening and, to top it off, wrestling at night (when everyone was poop-faced). Oh, yeah. There's LOTS of beer there. I'm not into the cock or bull fights, but hey, that's what they do down there. During the wrestling, people were throwing stuff like dirt at the 'combatants'. There were carnival rides, of which there was no possible way I'd go on. Exhibits like a pit of vipers. Really !! I went at night. I'd have to think it's pretty hot in the day. You'll see white buses with 'Cedral' written across the top of the windshield going back and forth between San Miguel and the gig. We took a taxi, though. That's the way it was when I went . It may have changed some. There were very few gringos when I went. Maybe about a dozen out of hundreds of locals. It really is a local thing.

Interesting. I wouldn't think they'd celebrate the United States independence day but then again, why not? Another good excuse to throw back a few margaritas, eh? :banana:

I was told that they did have a celebration last year and may do it again.

I'm so glad your gonna join us again. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Did anybody do the great Cozumel race last year? And did everyone see there is a zip line available now?

That makes 3 people from "El Cuatro" (group 4 for the non-spanish speakers) that have signed up for the invasion. We are going to catch group 8 for the number of repeat invaders!!

Back
Top Bottom