how has the island changed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd love to hear more about Cozumel in the '60s, '70s or even early '80s.

I remember Karen's Pizza. It wasn't at Karen's, but I also remember my sore disappointment when we ordered a pizza in Piste with "salchichas" and got the aforementioned cocktail weenies. Actually, they were better than they looked.

We started visiting in the early 1990s as well. Mostly, I remember a lot more open land, even close to town. Even the main square seemed quieter. I remember eating at Plaza Leza and some sort of sizable anteater or coatimundi running up a post. The other side of the island had fewer bars, and the road was smaller. I think it was also easier to get on that unpaved road past Mescalitos, assuming a decent vehicle (I'm still wondering what my best option is for exploring out that way). And I don't think there were any penned dolphins or stingrays. I wish that were still so.

I also remember diving with a lot more grouper and lobster.

Cozumel has changed since we first knew it, but even with the cruise ship explosion, it hasn't changed nearly as much as Playa del Carmen has. That used to be the sleepy backwater to (comparatively) glitzy Cozumel.

Cozumel has changed since we first knew it, but even with the cruise ship explosion, it hasn't changed nearly as much as Playa del Carmen has. That used to be the sleepy backwater to (comparatively) glitzy Cozumel.

That is sure true! I hadn't been to PDC for a few years and we took the ferry over for a trip to Tulum and I didn't recognize the place!!!! I could have sworn that strip off crazy restaurants and shops popped up virtually overnight.

Some old pictures of Cozumel from early 80s

chancannab lagoon.jpglas palmeras.jpgold sail boat chancannab.jpg

Chancannab lagoon
Las Palmeras
Sail boat at Chancannab

I've been going for around 6 years, so the cruise ships have always been there for me. I never got a chance to see the slow island vibe nor the reef pre Wilma. I enjoy it all the same and go a couple of times a year. I'm a bit jealous to have not seen the earlier years. But I'm also not as affected by the increased tourism.

A couple of things that have changed in that short time are:

The opening of the International Pier
Mega Grocery Store
Lion Fish
La Choza burned down and moved
Primas moved from one roof top to another (although a bit higher)

PH

Actually, the Intl. Pier has been around for much longer...it was the first dedicated cruise pier. Here is a pic of the pier from our balcony at the old Sol Caribe(now Park Royal) with La Cieba on the left. This was taken Thanksgiving week 1991. That was our first dive trip as a family. I think the cruise ships have changed more than Cozumel!

Attachments

• cruise3.jpg
    cruise3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 275
My husband and I got a pair of free airline tickets to Cancun for opening a CD bank account in 1987. Clueless, we flew in with no reservations and were floored at the prices at the resorts. After renting a car at the Cancun airport (the only place to do that) and visiting Chichen Itza, we went to Playa del Carmen - the biggest place in that little town was the Blue Parrot hotel. But no rooms were available there or at any of the other 3 or so hotels. Somebody finally took pity on us and found hammocks for us to sleep in. Finally we took the ferry over to Cozumel and found the traditional Zocalo (plaza) town we were familiar with... but oh the color of the water! We got a cheap hotel room at the Sao Lima on Salas and enjoyed our last few days.

We came back in 1988. The Sao Lima was all booked up so we were shuttled over to a new hotel that felt way out of town... on 25th...:). We used to sneak into the resort that is now the Melia (Paradisius?) and hang out at their beach. No wristbands and all gringos look alike, right? After speaking with Tom Hartegan I did a Discover Scuba course with Dive Paradise. That was it.... I was hooked. Back then it was the Dive Shops not diamond shops that were all on Melgar. There was no cruise ship pier at Paradise reef.

It used to take hours to change $$ at the bank - the only game in town. There were more bicycles, not that many scooters. Where the Mega is now , was the island power plant. Much more and better food choices now. Dave is right about life being easier now for the people who live there... I am thankful it hasn't been totally Cancun-ed.

I moved to Cozumel in 1992, so I can't say much about it before hand, but this is my two cents.

Then in the late 90s some good places popped up. Pasta Prima, La Choza then others so the food thing became livable, but the stores still sucked. Back then we used to have to go to Cancun to get even the most basic stuff. The the big change was when San Francisco came in way out on 65 ave...wow. Then closer to town, and now we even have a Sam's Club!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Oh, yes, before 2000 there was never any grafitti, but it seems pretty tame even now.

Dave. I've asked this question before but got no response. Do you remember a restaurant called Rincon Maya? It was a couple of blocks north of the square. Very small inside. Table tops were glass with lots of peoples business cards underneath. Some of the best food I've ever eaten in Cozumel.

Dear Mawg,

I sort of remember it, close to El Foco as I recall, but I have no special memories of the food. BTW, the best kept secret in all of Cozumel now is Pescadaria San Carlos. It is back in the hoods and only open until 5 pm but it has the best seafood you will find on the planet. That's all I'll say since I want to be able to get in for late lunches!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Mawg,

I sort of remember it, close to El Foco as I recall, but I have no special memories of the food. BTW, the best kept secret in all of Cozumel now is Pescadaria San Carlos. It is back in the hoods and only open until 5 pm but it has the best seafood you will find on the planet. That's all I'll say since I want to be able to get in for late lunches!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

No address? Nice.... Now I will have to hire someone to tail you. :anonymous2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom