OMS vs Pst?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It appears to me that the real problem is that you don’t understand what you are talking about. Although FAD stands for Free Air Delivery, it is the amount of Atmospheric Air (Free Air) that can be sucked into the Compressor at inlet conditions which is the ACFM I mentioned earlier.

Also, you don't determine efficiency based on compressor weight and rated delivery capacity. In simple terms Efficiency of a machine is the ratio of the useful output work to the input work.

omar

I am thinking of buying a steel tank this summer and am wondering what I should get for single tank diving. I've rented OMS 85's and like em' alright. LDS's charge like $300 for an OMS 85. Leisure Pro carries Pressed Steels and they're price is like $260 but by the time you figure in the shipping on a heavy tank it's gonna cost about the same as the LDS plus possible free fills from an LDS for buying from them. BTW there are no Pressed Steel dealers in MN so I'd have to buy a Pressed Steel tank online. Any recommendations?

GP,

I guess it depends on what you want.

You're mentioning OMS, so I guess this means you want an LP tank......

As to OMS vs. PST -- as you've seen from this thread, there are differing opinions on which is better for varying reasons. I don't think you will go wrong with either as long as you take care of them (meaning taking the boot off while rinsing/drying, annual inspection, etc).

I am going to buy another tank this spring and will likely buy a PST HP 120. Same dry land weight as my LP 98 and a little more negative in the water.....and obviously more volume. I do alot of shore diving on rocky, uneven coastlines and like having a higher volume tank -- thus my choice.

Most tech folks seem to shy away from HPs due to complete fill and gas mixing issues -- these aren't big issues to me.

I think the "LSD free fill" issue is valid. I received 15 free fills when I bought my OMS.

Not sure if I am helping or just making you more confused...;-)

-LD

Love my Faber Steel tanks! Sooner or later you'll proably have to tumble those PST tanks so you might as well figure that into the price. ( Faber makes the tanks for OMS )

Thanks LD and divemstr13, yes...I'm planning on buying a LP steel tank. I guess I'll most likely get an OMS 98. I like it's shorter wider dimensions compared to the OMS 85. The only thing I'm not crazy about on OMS is the external paint. I wish they came unpainted with a clear finish but it doesn't look like they do :upset: Oh well.

GP,
If you're going to buy online, check out http://www.huronscuba.com
They're right next door to you there in Michigan. :tree: Bob

Originally posted by Divemstr13
Love my Faber Steel tanks! Sooner or later you'll proably have to tumble those PST tanks so you might as well figure that into the price. ( Faber makes the tanks for OMS )
Yeah, I had to tumble my '72... no, that's not true - I did tumble it just to see what I could get out of it - less than a gram... once in 30 years. With due care you shouldn't have to tumble your PST's.
I have both PST and OMS's. Love 'em both. Only trouble I've had was with one of the OMS's... rust under the paint. But I'd buy more of 'em, because I simply adore their size, weight & buoyancy characteristics (85's).
Rick

The upside of my OMS tanks (125's) are their durability (they have been through a war and show NO SIGNS of rust) the downside is the HUGE swing to neutral (or whatever) they make when they empty..... I just look for a good tank and get used to diving it.... some of this stuff seems like we may be "overthinking" our equipment. I care for my tanks after every dive no matter what so maybe thats the difference in the shape there in... I am going to purchase and double up some Faber 104's soon, I can feel it!

=-)

Back
Top Bottom