Ft. Pickens Night Dive 01-23-12 with Nightsea (Underwater Fluorescence)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
All right, Let me start with a quick lesson in Underwater Fluorescence: Basically some forms of Cnidarians which include Anemones, as well as some corals produce a Protein based chemical which they use to possibly protect them from the Suns UV radiation, in effect a sort of SunScreen. We can't see this with our naked eye but when you shine a light on the subject with the proper excitation filter attached and then block any unwanted reflective light with a barrier filter you get to see some amazing things.

I first saw this at DEMA (Diving trade show) this year and Immediately knew that I must possess this technolgy for myself :perv:(Evil grinning and hand rubbing taking place). So over the course of a month or so I started collecting the pieces I needed to not only see the underwater Fluorescence, but to also capture it with my Underwasser Digital camera (Note the slight play on German, gives it a more evil villian appeal).

So last night with Camera in hand my buddy and I headed to Ft. Pickens for a night dive and to finally try my new gear. I was a bit disappointed with my ability and skill at both finding and capturing images, but not in the end results.
First I was not prepared mentally for the fact that I had to swim around at night in the dark with only a modest Blue Light to lead my way. My buddy and I were quickly seperated as he was instructed not to shine his light in my direction and also becuase he could not see me, I mean I'm swimming around in the dark. So it was with great trepidation that I found myself alone, in the dark, at night, , in 60* water, in "Shark Infested Waters" (Only when you are alone at night), while I humm the theme to Jaws..... Needless to say my ass was puckered to a factor of 7! :shocked2:

Not 4 minutes into the dive all that changed when I saw my first Fluorescence! My heart skipped a beat! Oh was it beautiful, my first 20 photos were a mess as I tried tirelessly to tune my camera settings and find a way to focus my camera on the light Fluorescence in front of my lens. Finally after a few ill fated attempts I finally had success, and for my friends who know me, that meant a little underwater dance!!!

From then on it was back to business, I ended up with about 85 shots in a 1 hour dive as I tuned my abilitiy and my camera at my new found passion. I'm attaching a few shots here for your to see. I took a couple of "White light" shots with the Fluorescence shots to compare and I think those shots really tell the tale and why I was so excited and still am to get this gear into the water.

With White Light (Standard Underwater Photography)

DSC02882.jpg

With Nightsea:

DSC02880.jpg

Before:

DSC02894.jpg

After:

DSC02855.jpg

A Few More shots:

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

DSC02866.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

That is awesome Mr X !! They are truly beautiful.

Actually, they are called filters in this case, but Yes.

Sorry, I was channeling the Blues Brothers:

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses

From your line:
that I found myself alone, in the dark, at night,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom