Seawing Nova Gorilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I need a little advice. I'm trying to decide between the Aqualung Slingshots and the Scubapro Seawing Nova Gorillas. I've found quite a few reviews on the Seawing Nova fins, but nothing on the Seawing Nova Gorilla.

Does anyone have the Gorilla version? I'm curious about the quality. From what I've read, quite a few people have had issues with quality of the original Nova fins (having to get them replaced every 6 months or so).
I'm also curious about the buoyancy. Is the Gorilla version as positively buoyant as the original?

Link to the Gorilla version

Thank you in advance!

Hi Brandon,

The Seawing Nova Gorilla comes in black only with a cool gray heel strap. It is still a monprene construction, however a thicker shore which makes the fin stiffer and more powerful. The original Seawing Nova design did have some minor breakage (which is covered under our ltd lifetime warranty), however, the Gorilla is of the second generation design as are all of the Seawings being sold today.

I am checking with tech to confirm for you that all of the Seawing Novas are slightly buoyant (salt vs. fresh) ...

SCUBAPRO - SEAWING NOVA GORILLA

Hey Harry,

Both my wife and I have a pair of the Novas. At one time there was some talk of being able to turn in the first generation pair for a new pair because of the breakage that was going on. Is that possible or do you have to wait until they break? I would hate to have them break on a dive trip. I love the fins by the way and was wondering if you guys will make a fullfoot version.

Thanks.

What's the difference between the nova and gorilla. Have to really study about it as Singapore Scubapro office only offer a 1 year warranty.
Hi Brandon,

The Seawing Nova Gorilla comes in black only with a cool gray heel strap. It is still a monprene construction, however a thicker shore which makes the fin stiffer and more powerful. The original Seawing Nova design did have some minor breakage (which is covered under our ltd lifetime warranty), however, the Gorilla is of the second generation design as are all of the Seawings being sold today.

I am checking with tech to confirm for you that all of the Seawing Novas are slightly buoyant (salt vs. fresh) ...

Hi Brandon,

Wait. So, if the Gorillas and standard Novas use the same second generation design, are there any differences between the two (other than color)?
Also, any info on the buoyancy?
Thanks for the info, and for looking into this!

There seems to be some confusion here on the Seawing Nova fins:

1) The very first version has had a small incedence of breakage depending on their use; this is covered under warranty. Under normal usage they perform excellent without problem and do not need to be replaced.

2) All Seawing Nova fins shipping are of the slightly newer design.

3) There is a new model (option) of Seawing Novas called the Seawing Gorilla; this fin comes in black with gray heel straps and is stiffer than the regular Seawing Novas.

4) All Seawing Nova fins are positively buoyant both in salt and fresh water regardless of size, color, or version.

Okay. Thank you for the clarification. After reading as many reviews/posts that I can find, it looks I'll be buying myself a pair of Seawing Nova Gorillas! :D

Thank you everyone for your help!

You will be very happy with the gorillas. have used both and the gorillas are great when using dry suit and doubles can still do all kicks without overkicking.

Hi Brandon,

Then someone is mistaken, Scubastore.com sell the Gorillas in BLUE only.

There seems to be some confusion here on the Seawing Nova fins:

1) The very first version has had a small incedence of breakage depending on their use; this is covered under warranty. Under normal usage they perform excellent without problem and do not need to be replaced.

2) All Seawing Nova fins shipping are of the slightly newer design.

3) There is a new model (option) of Seawing Novas called the Seawing Gorilla; this fin comes in black with gray heel straps and is stiffer than the regular Seawing Novas.

4) All Seawing Nova fins are positively buoyant both in salt and fresh water regardless of size, color, or version.

Really? read around various boards including this one, seems a bit more than "small".

Back
Top Bottom