Lost in U.S. Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is missing the obvious. How about some good navigation skills and returning to the anchor line.
He was hunting bugs. No way he would know where he went or how to get back.

He was hunting bugs. No way he would know where he went or how to get back.

Why not?? Hunted bugs many times and always know way back to boat. Espesially with 6 ft seas and strong current. Free ascents are never a good idea. Apparently he lives there and been diving a long time. You would think he knows some landmarks.

That's mooring ball land. Probably not able to anchor.

My 2 cents - spend $2.00

Buy a small 2x2 plastic mirror at REI, clip it to your BC along with your whistle and SMB. If the sun was out, his time in the water probably would have been a lot less with a signaling mirror available.

The post said they had to pull anchor. Even if not, follow mooring line up.

For a $100 he could've had a vhf radio in a otter box which we've both carried for the last 10yrs for just this type of situation and called to any boats in the area. I've had my radio down to 140 feet and never had a leak in my otter box. You can go even cheaper with a bigger radio than I carried. Mine were good to 5 foot depth, the reason for the otter box. We now have the Nautilus lifeline. They're $300 with some additional gimmicks but no otter box required.

Buy a small 2x2 plastic mirror at REI, clip it to your BC along with your whistle and SMB.

Or toss an old wrecked recordable CD in your pocket for the same result. Added advantage of having the hole in the middle for sighting purposes.

+1 for the Nautilus Lifeline. I carry one just in case.

Back
Top Bottom