What's the hardest class you have taken, and what made it hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nav Course. Not because i found the Nav difficult, but it was my first dive in cold water, in a new suit, in very shallow water (3-4m deep). My bouyancy control was woefull, and ever time I went above 2m the stupid suunto would reset and i'd lose my compass. I was actually suprised that I managed to do my squares and rectangles and end up in the right place every time.

Lesson - use a mechanical compass on your nav course. Always attemt to do a course in familiar gear so you aren't distracted by basic gear issues.

hardest class: Instructor Course
why: Sooo loooong .... specially the classroom portion

Oh actually that is a good point, my Assistant Instructor course might have been harder than OW just because of how LONG and BORING it was. :)

A fine example of what's wrong with diving education as a whole. When a person who can't swim becomes a Divemaster. This is why I have little respect for anyone that's a DM or instructor. Show me the skills in the water not online and then I will put you in the 5% that gives quality instruction. Ok, I feel better now....

As I said earlier there is no requirement to swim when entering the course. I passed the requirement which stated we had swim non stop with out touching bottom. I went in not being able to swim and came out being able to swim. This is a good example why so many people frown on divers too though is because a select few dont see that not everyone is fortunate enough to be born a water baby. But through dedication are able to become a good swimmer.

This is one reason I prefer to dive with new divers and usually have no desire to dive with veteran divers.

Well, one thing that has come out so far in this thread is that changing equipment before a class is a bad idea -- my worst class involved that, too; tanks I didn't know and a wing I borrowed. Sometimes gear changes are seamless, but often they are not, and I don't think they're ever a good idea right before a class (unless the class is something like Intro to Doubles, and you're expected to be in new gear!)

Having the right buddies/classmates can make a big difference, too. My "bad" class had some issues with this -- nice folks, but our strengths and weaknesses didn't complement one another at all. My best class, which was my cave class, was helped enormously by having solid buddies who were fun people and kept a positive outlook. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to preselect your classmates!

As I said earlier there is no requirement to swim when entering the course. I passed the requirement which stated we had swim non stop with out touching bottom. I went in not being able to swim and came out being able to swim. This is a good example why so many people frown on divers too though is because a select few dont see that not everyone is fortunate enough to be born a water baby. But through dedication are able to become a good swimmer. This is one reason I prefer to dive with new divers and usually have no desire to dive with veteran divers.
Not attacking you but this example of how low the bar is set to become a respected dive leader was just to hard to pass up. I spit my drink out laughing when i read it. Sorry to put you on the defensive but really? Was I wrong? Anyway good luck training new divers.

Well, one thing that has come out so far in this thread is that changing equipment before a class is a bad idea -- my worst class involved that, too; tanks I didn't know and a wing I borrowed. Sometimes gear changes are seamless, but often they are not, and I don't think they're ever a good idea right before a class (unless the class is something like Intro to Doubles, and you're expected to be in new gear!)Having the right buddies/classmates can make a big difference, too. My "bad" class had some issues with this -- nice folks, but our strengths and weaknesses didn't complement one another at all. My best class, which was my cave class, was helped enormously by having solid buddies who were fun people and kept a positive outlook. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to preselect your classmates!
Mr Sherwood had me change dry suits and give up my double 100's during GUE-f. Day 5 was hero or zero so I understand swiching gear during class.

Not attacking you but this example of how low the bar is set to become a respected dive leader was just to hard to pass up. I spit my drink out laughing when i read it. Sorry to put you on the defensive but really? Was I wrong? Anyway good luck training new divers.

I wouldnt say it put me on the defensive. It was just something you had felt you wanted to comment on and I did the same. People find it hard to believe I have dove in places many divers have not got the chance too and dove with sharks of all calibers yet could not swim.

It may sound funny to some and I probably would say it was funny too. But really I take it as an achievement. Despite never being able to swim before I can now. So no ones opinion really matters to me (Not trying to be defensive but have pride in whats been achieved here) I have finaly been able to learn to swim and water is where I am most comfortable.

It doesnt surprise though some people find humor in how someone can go from not being able to swim to being able to swim across a lake and all because they had to literaly "Sink before the swim" :)

The hardest course i have taking to date is intro to cave. I took a one on one class so there was only one person to do everything over and over again. But a great class cant wait to go back and do Full Cave.

Doppler's solo course by a mile. Didn't know beforehand but had to be able to hold trim and position motionless and blacked out for a minute if you were to have any chance of passing. Spent the first two days trying to disprove physics through sheer willpower. Failed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom