where to go in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to spend a few days (maybe a week) diving in Cuba in Jan. Going with non-diving wife, so someplace with decent snorkeling would be good, but a nice beach is most key - and of course diving. No offense to anyone, but after diving Asia a few times I am less and less excited about the carib. Just over-dived/fished. Went to Utila/Roatan in April and was happy to see some big schools. So I would like to experience the best Cuba has to offer underwater - taking the season into account (north has winds in Jan, right?).

Welcome recommendations on areas/transport/lodging/dive-ops/etc. Punta Francis sounds great although transport might be an issue. We would stay a few days in Havana to take in the topside sites, and would prob do 3-4 days of diving/beaching.

Thanks!

Jeremyl

We stayed and dove at Jibacoa. There are 2 dive ops here. One at Breezes - does farther and deeper dives. the other at Villa Chameleon, does shore and boat/paddle-boat dives. Snorkeling is done right off the beach as there's plenty to see (lots of coral right off the beach). Jibacoa is at the half point between Varadero and Havana. Takes about ~45min by car to either. There are a couple of jungle treks you can do off the resort. PM me if you'd like more details.

I'll be at Brisas (Santa Lucia) in December - I'll post a write-up when i return.

Jibacoa is on the north shore. In January, I wouldn't recommend any of the North Shore of Cuba. Atlantic can be frisky and quite rough. Furthermore, weather can be surprizingly low if you get a North wind.

I would rather recommend Cayo Largo, on the South side. On top of warmer weather and calmer water, the whole area is a National marine park. So there is no fishing in the area. In you want more info, PM me.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunatly Cayo Largo is a pain to get to, and as I will be traveling with my non-diver wife we are going to avoid this travel. We will spend a few days in Trinidad so I will try and catch some diving there, and then a few days in Jibacoa and hope for good weather.

Does anyone know about diving with bullsharks in Playa Santa Lucia? Apparently the divemasters feed them but according to the Lonley planet guidebook, it's only from June-January and I'll be there on the first week of Feb. Other than that, where can u see sharks in Cuba? I'm hearing about Jardines de la Reina but that's a week liveaboard and I don't know if I want to dive for that long, besides my dates don't comply...

Don't know about the bullshark season in Santa Lucia. However, if you are considering Jardines de la Reina but don't want to spend a whole week in a LOB, your closest option is Cayo Largo. Give this a look.

@ glennaldo

See my "Trip Report: Santa Lucia, Cuba [Dec 06-13, 2011]" in the Greater Antilles section.
Also, pm for more info. I can give you specifics if you need.
dann

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom