Diving 'Seven Star Rock' (Qixingyan) in Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas Koenig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

For those interested, here is a link to UW photos from dives at Qixingyan, off of the southern tip of Taiwan.

Qixingyan (七星岩), literally 'Seven Star Rock', lies off the coast of Pingtung County, Taiwan, in the Bashi Channel. It is an area composed of seven coral reefs. At low tide the seven reefs are visible, whereas at high tide, only two of the reefs are visible. Qinxingyan is arranged in a shape similar to the Big Dipper, hence the name Seven Star Reef. It is located approximately 12 nautical miles (21 km) from the southernmost point of Taiwan proper, an area where the Pacific Ocean, the Taiwan Straits and the Bashi Channel meet. Due to the strong currents and shoals in the area, many ships were wrecked and lives lost in the early to mid-19th century after the Qing court opened trade between the West and China. Notable shipwrecks in the area include the 1867 U.S. merchant vessel Rover and the 1871 Japanese merchant vessel Ryukyu (after Wikipedia).

Diving Seven Stars can be very dangerous due to the strong, unpredictable currents and high waves in the area. It is generally only possible to dive there in May/June, as currents and sea conditions are more favorable then. Most off the wrecks lie at depths beyond the reach of recreational SCUBA diving, with the exception of one or two small fishing boat wrecks. Often, big pelagic fish, including sharks, congregate in the area. Scuba divers are advised to listen to the local captain's advice.
In recent years, there have been two incidents of divers being swept away by the strong northward-bound currents. In one case, the divers were adrift at sea for some 72 hours(!). After a desperate last-ditch 13-km-swim to shore by their dive guide, the group was located and picked up by the Taiwanese coast guard near Taimali on Taiwan's east coast, some 100 km away from their entry point! In the other incident only some members of the group could be saved, while the others were never found again. Carrying redundant diver safety devices such as SMBs, dive lights/flashes, reflective mirrors, whistles, dye packs, buddy lines, etc., is an absolute must on these dives!
This dive is NOT suitable for inexperienced divers, nor for the faint of heart - currents can be ripping and constantly changing, and 2-3 m waves are not rare.

(Clicking on the image links to a slide show)

Diving in Kenting (08-09May10) C 208-2 (Copyright).jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff; wish I'd been able to get to 7 Stars this year.

Last year it was excellent; looks from your photos like this year was also very good.

Nice photos, Thomas !! And thorough report on the site as well.

This has been high on my 'To Dive' list, and I'll surely check it out once the conditions turn more favorable this coming season.

Your post is the first I have heard of the fatalities at this site ... always good to keep in the back of your mind when planning and executing such a dive ...

Nice set of pics Thomas.

7* is the one place to date in Taiwan where I've seen a White Tip - and a big fat one it was as well. My buddy had cut her hand on the anchor line, and we wonder if the blood in the water attracted the shark, as it appeared over the ridge 1 metre in front of us, stopped for a look and casuaally wandered away, great to see and just a pity I wasn't expecting it so didn't get more than a hazy pic - ah well, next time !

I still recall the ripping currents the group I was with got into, as we were taken East past the rocks and on surface could see the dive boat to the West of the rocks like a little spot on the horizon !!

2_see_the_boat_coming_IMG_0819.jpg

Our View trying to attract the boat attention !!

1_on_the_horizon_marked.jpg

Next time a bigger SMB needed !

IMG_07991.JPG

approx 2 m length - and looking fat.

IMG_08523.JPG

IMG_09561.JPG

Dental check up showing a gleaming condition.

Hi Wantonmien,

Glad you got the whitetip on a photo. Saw it, too - suddenly appearing between two rocks - but only for a second or two, and by the time I had swum through the rocks, the shark had already disappeared into the abyss :depressed:. Like you said, 'next time'.

Have added a dozen or so shots to the Seven Star gallery, nothing fanciful, mainly a few of us bopping around on the surface waiting to be picked up. Hard to believe that the captain didn't see the 4-m(!) SMB his son was carrying!

(Click on image to view updated gallery)
Seven Stars (21May11) C 132-2 (Copyright).jpg

Can't wait to get to Green Island for the hammerheads next week. Itching to try out my 2 new Inon Z-240 flashguns! See you there.

Thomas, u r going to Green Island next week? I am a diver from Hong Kong, should be there too from Jan 26-28 or 29..... see if we can meet up at surface or underwater... hope we can meet the hammers

Been there and done that a few times as well. Last time there I got some great pictures of the dive guide all wrapped/tangled in his SMB line. My group had no problems. I dont suggest multiple extra items for the dive ie extra SMB's and lights other then what is normally carried....I suggest proper training, proper gear and a proper dive plan coordinated with th boat captain who is not a wildcat.

Back
Top Bottom