Hiking/Camping in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish in a Barrel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the long-term planning phase for a trip I hope to take in early 2013. I want to spend a week on the GBR, but as long as I'm in Australia, I'd like to do some camping and hiking as well. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on good destinations. I prefer primitive places where I'm not likely to run into many people. I've done everything from the Arizona deserts to paddling in Minnesota, so I have a range of experience.

So if you had two weeks for a tour of Australia's wild places (on land), where would you go?

I went to Australia this past May and did a quick 2 day trip out to the Blue Mountains, about 2 hours west of Sydney. We stuck to the known trails, but it appeared that one could venture out there if you were so inclined. We were on our way back through Sydney though, coming from Heron Island further north.. so it wasn't really in close proximity to diving.

Another vote for the national parks near Sydney, though most of my hiking has been in the Dharug rather than the Blue Mountains, though. Time of year is important. I wouldn't recommend hiking in that area at the height of summer, but late Feb/early March is lovely. Awfully long way from where you'll be diving, though (about a three hour flight).

Not too far from Cairns, you have the beautiful Daintree and Cape Tribulation ares as will as the Tablelands not too far away. Again, mid-summer is probably not ideal plus you have the added fun of large saltwater crocs. Please don't go hiking there (well, anywhere) without very good local advice.

If you don't mind the travel, I'd go here: Parks & Wildlife Service - Introduction

Another vote for Tasmania. You might find the Overland Track a bit crowded at times, but the World Heritage Area is huge so lots of possibilities. We combined the Port Davey and Southcoast track a few years ago and did the Overland Track to prepare for that. Missed out on Frenchmen's Cap afterwards due to a shoulder injury, but it's supposed to be beautiful as well. Be prepared for the deepest mud you'll ever see and some of the best beach walking anywhere.

Thanks for all the advice! After languishing for two weeks, this threads is suddenly full of advice. :D

Keep in mind, "early 2013" will most likely be their summer. Interior will be uncomfortably hot for any type of camping - I've tried that :). Id suggest heading north to the Kakadu National Park and Katherine during the cooler months. Have heard great things about Tasmania - probably the perfect plan :). For more "adventure" travel advice. Head over to the online "lonely planet - thorntree forum" - Have fun!! :)

2 locations that stick out for me.

Tazzie
Fraser Island (I can't believe no-one has said this yet!)

I think you can find great wild places at Queensland... just a suggestion :)

When I was there, two women were out hiking, one got disemboweled by a cassowary. Yeah, they have wild places in Queensland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom