Need help finding a restaurant I visited on my last trip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerk85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've searched all the restaurant threads (and Google) and can't seem to come up with an answer...

On my first trip to Coz in July 2006 I and my group visited a fantastic seafood restaurant on recommendation of one of our DMs. Alas, I am finally returning to Coz for a second trip on Feb 26 and am really hoping to find this place again! I'm hoping the locals and Coz vets that lurk on this board might be able to identify the place I'm talking about.

For the life of me I can't remember the name, of course! I know it was way back in town, far from the waterfront/tourist area. It was indoor, but open air (street-facing side was completely open). Kitchen was also open to the dining room. There seemed to be plenty of tables and they had no trouble accommodating our group of about 12, though I recall we visited mid to late afternoon. They were still quite busy. We appeared to be the only tourists there - everyone else was locals.

Food was amazing - we had a feast including lobster, calamari, conch, grouper, octopus cooked in the ink. I think they even had seafood paella available on Sundays (which it was, so we indulged). With food to spare and a few beers a piece I think we spent about $25 US per person, which we were happy to spend for the feast we had devoured.

Does anyone know a restaurant that fits this description? I think if I could see a picture (or just Google Maps streetview) I might be able to recognize it.

And, of course, I'm always open to any favorites/suggestions. We love fresh local fare... prefer to eat where the locals eat. I know there are a million threads with suggestions though :wink:

It may have been either el Moro or la Perla. Something cooked in ink is a specialty of the latter. Both open to the street on one side but for the life of me I can't think of where the kitchen is relative to the dining room.

La Conchita del Caribe? It's on Ave 65, it moved a few blocks north I think.

All based off of pics on tripadvisor and Google streetview... COULD have been El Moro (I remember it having a similar look and orientation - west side of a N-S street - but I could be mistaken on that)

La Perlita (I think that is what it is) - not a match, though it seems they may be the only one's cooking octopus in it's ink, which I guess is traditional to the region? I just remember it being delicious, so we may have to hit up La Perlita either way.

La Conchita del Caribe - unless the listed address on Ave 65 is a location they recently moved to, it is definitely not there.

Thanks for the responses!

Well you would remember the orange of El Moro and the dusty stuffed jaguar on the wall. There can't be another like that. Did you have a shot of xtabatun at the end of your meal? That is an El Moro thing.

All based off of pics on tripadvisor and Google streetview... COULD have been El Moro (I remember it having a similar look and orientation - west side of a N-S street - but I could be mistaken on that)

La Conchita del Caribe - unless the listed address on Ave 65 is a location they recently moved to, it is definitely not there.

Thanks for the responses!

La Conchita did move three or four years ago. They were located on 65th but three or four blocks south of the new location. Bit more funky than the new place.

Maybe Tortugas?

Well you would remember the orange of El Moro and the dusty stuffed jaguar on the wall. There can't be another like that. Did you have a shot of xtabatun at the end of your meal? That is an El Moro thing.

Yes, I think I would have remembered that. Not El Moro.

La Conchita did move three or four years ago. They were located on 65th but three or four blocks south of the new location. Bit more funky than the new place.

After a bit more investigation I am confident it was La Conchita. The name struck a cord, and I received a description of the original location which fit the bill (thanks phras). Browsing on Trip Advisor and, what do you know, someone mentioned the Paella on Sundays. Bingo!

Think I have my answer. Thanks all! That being said I'm still happy to stoke the fires of a restaurant thread if anyone has additional suggestions for local seafood :)

Try La Perlita. We went there in December specifically to do our part and eat lionfish. I don't know about the rest of their seafood. I hear it is good, but the lionfish was FANTASTIC. Grouper without the guilt! :)

What about Popeye? It's not really WAY back in town, but for tourists not familiar with the area, it could seem that way.

They are a local spot and have been around forever - EXCELLENT ceviche and all seafood.

THey are located on Calle 2 north between 25 and 30th.

Here are a few pictures:
Nuestra vida deliciosa - Our delicious life: La Cockteleria Popeye - Cozumel

Cozumel Restaurants and Bars popularity review, continued. (scroll down mid-page) - there are actually pictures of several restaurants here

Perlita could be another one and here are a few pics of it:
Photos of La Perlita, Cozumel - Restaurant Images - TripAdvisor

Good luck - I hope you find it - but if you don't all of the places mentioned are excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom