Avalon Harbor Cleanup 2012 - First timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdanie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I are going to the clean up this year. Do I need to bring a collection / game bag? What is the best way to secure the bag to me? I have never dove with a game bag and would like to avoid any learning curve.
Thanks

When I did the Dana Point Harbor clean up I did not use bags nor did I see anybody else. When you got a handful of trash you bring it to the dock. Visibility was 0". Feel around under and around the docks until you find something and try and bring it up to the docks. Large items were marked for a team with lift bags to raise up. I could not believe how much trash was in the small area we did. A game bag for light trash his probably a good idea and I prefer a stainless steel bolt snap to attach my game bag to my bottom D ring on my BC . I don't know about Avalon clean up, being no docks and quite a bit deeper. Visibility should be a lot better because of bottom composition (sand vs. silt). I'm going to try and make it too.

Avalon Harbor is typically 10'-40+ and yes, a game bag attached to the bottom D ring is the way to go...you may want to practice before the clean up day so you get use to the bag with full suit and gloves on. Have fun with the other 200-500 divers that day :D

Most divers I've observed on the clean-up do have game bags. Of course they will be useful for smaller items, but not for fishing rods, Vons grocery carts, portions of skiffs destroyed in NE storms, etc. I often see divers carrying large game bags in one hand. Of course I just carry my camera since I report on the event for one of the local papers.

Yes, a game or goodie bag is recommended. Which entry site were you planning on diving?

Miss two events held on Catalina every year - Harbor cleanup and Chamber Day. It's amazing what garbage is pulled out from the harbor. Enjoy

Have gone to Avalon Underwater Clean-up the past 2 years and going again this year (this Saturday wohooo!!). I'm bringing a netted bag that housed a snorkel mask and fins that was purchased a few years back. The bag is not very wide, but is long enough(it can fit fins). It works for what's needed at the cleanup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom