Liveaboard then resort or vice-versa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't considered the getting sick factor. The land portion is going to cost the same as the liveaboard, so each is equally expensive. I guess that as long as the diving gear makes it to the boat, it's all good.

I would lean towards doing the liveaboard second, based on my first liveaboard experience. I'm not much of a nautical guy, and had a terrible case of "sea legs" when I returned from a week on the CEX II in Saba/St. Kitts. It would have been terrible to be walking around a beautiful place, trying to see the sights, with the whole place rocking back and forth and a killer headache. Not sure how sensitive you are to that type of thing, but it is something to consider.

Personally, I would do the liveaboard first. When I go on a dive trip I'm usually extremely gung-ho to get in the water, and a liveaboard scratches that itch. However, a week of full-on diving on a liveaboard is extremely cool but not necessarily relaxing. I think that if I could follow the liveaboard with a land-based location with a somewhat earlier schedule I'd really enjoy it.

I have to agree with altaskier. After a week of 5 dives a day on the liveaboard (and LOVING it), some unscheduled "boring" time helps the transition back to the real world. And it gives the airports time to settle down and quit rocking back and forth.

I have dived off Ambergris Caye on two trips and compared to the day trip out to the atolls where your liveaboard will be hanging about it was a good notch or two down in terms of visibility and marine life. I would do the liveaboard second and relax while enjoying your first week diving off Placencia knowing things are going to get a lot better.

5-4 in favor of liveaboard first. 1 argued for both. Not really the clear and decisive outcome I was looking for.

If this clarifies anything, the resort portion will be at the Chabil Mar in Placencia. While there, we intend to, wait for it, go diving. As well as a number of trips to see some of the Mayan ruins. The beach will get squeezed in somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom