Wikipedia article on "Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlynch, I won't be at the Wednesday dive, unfortunately -- I'm DMing an OW class on Mondays and Wednesday through the whole month. But maybe we can hook up for some other underwater fun?

I would suggest a bit of "search" in your future if you want to look at whom dan was diving with in the 90's when DIR was formed. Not here on SB but in the older archives on rec.scuba and aquanauts. (i already posted links a ways back in the thread).

TSandM - sounds good, i'm there about once a month and normally travel with my rig.

I would suggest a bit of "search" in your future if you want to look at whom dan was diving with in the 90's when DIR was formed. Not here on SB but in the older archives on rec.scuba and aquanauts. (i already posted links a ways back in the thread).

This appeared briefly on the Wikipedia entry...Who are the guys with Dan?

Halycon Surfmat.jpg

Dogs and cats lying together?

3292909717_d873a5d7ff.jpg
:D

Pascal Bernabé » DIR Courses scroll down the page to find TDI Intro to DIR. It's nice to see how modern DIR has evolved in their handling of stage bottles among other things (see pic below).

View attachment 112632

TDI Intro to Dir is a OC course, so the pic is not related to this course. The photo must illustrate the DirRebreathers courses.

I suggest 2 minor modifications (I put them in red).

meanwhile back on topic
icosm14.gif
I'm adding updates to the equipment sections - then will tackle the "Why" sections preceeding them here's the latest. Back Plate The back plate and harness forms the foundation of the DIR diving system equipment .[36] . The back plate is used to anchor the harness, buoyancy compensator, and provides storage for other items. The back plate is a rigid plate with minimal padding [37] bent from flat stainless steel [38] or aluminum [39] plate and slotted for straps, or formed from other materials with similar rigidity characteristics [40]. The choice of materials is determined by the operational needs of the diver and the environment. The back plate is adaptable for double tanks and singles tanks as required, using either an adapter [41] or strap cutouts [42]. Harness The harness is formed with one continuous length of 2” (5.4 cm) nylon webbing secured through dedicated top and bottom slots in the back plate [43] [44] . The harness should not contain any quick release mechanisms[44].[45]The webbing must be adjustable and is secured with a single stainless steel buckle located on the diver’s right waist [46], this position lessens the potential of accidental opening by the crotch strap [44]. A crotch strap runs from the bottom of the back plate to a loop in front in which the waist strap is passed through, securing the harness/back plate system to the diver. The crotch strap prevents the harness system from shifting and riding high on the diver. The harness supports 5 “D” rings, one placed on the divers left waist, one on each shoulder strap, and two on the crotch strap[44]. The left side waist “D” ring is used to attach the back gas SPG, stage bottles, and other gear that may be required for a particular dive.[47]The shoulder “D” rings are used for securing the backup lights, the primary regulator when not in use, and temporary storage of other pieces of equipment.[48] The crotch strap “D” rings allow for the front to be used solely for attachment to a DPV (scooter), and the rear “D” ring is used for attaching equipment as needed [44]. The primary light battery canister is placed on the waist belt on the right, secured with a secondary stainless steel buckle or the primary stainless steel belt buckle as appropriate .[45] .....this is a tedious process since i am citing sources throughout to eliminate personal opinions from polluting the article.

It could be useful to clearly make the distingo between DIR equipment configuration and DITR philosophy / way of dive.

TDI Intro to Dir is a OC course, so the pic is not related to this course. The photo must illustrate the DirRebreathers courses.
I thought a DIR rebreather meant an RB-80, and arguably an MX90 or MXZ. I think some time ago I also saw some modified KISS rebreathers labeled as DIR. The guys in the picture seem to be using an Inspiration, which up to now, I thought was reserved for strokes. If anything, this thread has opened my eyes to some European flavors of DIR. I was not familiar with ISE and did not know there was a TDI DIR Fundies. The north american TDI website has no such thing and I would not expect it to have it -- but then again I wouldn't have expected any other regional TDI to have it either.

I'm currently halfway through reading Steve Lewis' book. And, while it describes some procedures that may remotely resemble things like DIR Min Deco rules and Ratio Deco, there are some fundamental differences that would not make these DIR. Steve does not claim they are DIR at all. He's quite open about himself using all sorts of equipment configurations, gases, and generally Doing What Works. In light of this I'm quite surprised about seeing TDI's logo associated with DIR in what seems an official capacity.

This appeared briefly on the Wikipedia entry...Who are the guys with Dan?

One of the worst photos of me I have seen, but considering that you feel injured by me, and in need of retribution, probably a good choice for you :)

The yellow thing is a Tooka, which we are using to give non-divers at Resorts in Palm beach, an underwater experience far superior to anything possible with traditional scuba....they do not have to learn anything at all about control of buoyancy--one of the biggest problems for typical open water divers, even a year after full certification and 25 to 50 dives. The instructor tows the tooka also, and can tow the tooka divers/guests if they are too ineffective at propelling themselves...For most, propulsion is easy, as there is only the drag of snorkeling, with easy breathing down to the hose enforced bottom of 25 feet.

The other 2 divers are Robert Carmichael, creator of the Tooka and Brownies 3rd Lung, as well as the creator of Halcyon Gear....and Bill Mee, long time buddy of mine and George..and Bill is also the guy that worked with Dr Bill Hamilton to create the WKPP trimix tables George and JJ used to break the world record in deep cave, and to make trimix diving safer for team members on all exploration level exposures. It was so effective, the US Navy Spec Warfare guys used to show up at Wakulla on big pushes, to see for themselves how George and JJ could do exposures and decos the Navy deemed impossible by their tables.

As to my huge big gut....the elephant in the room so to speak....I have been riding 25 to 35 miles per day on my bike, 3 to 4 days per week, for the last 10 years, and can easily do a sub 60 minute 40K time trial. About 10 years ago, no amount of riding was helping me with bloating, and diet was tweaked many times in the last 8 years, and to no avail..A few years back, I found the real issue was that my thyroid gland was underproducing by a huge margin....but the idea of taking thyroid pills like an addict for life, prevented me from fixing the issue at the time.....recently I decided to buy Lugols solution, 10% potassium, 5 % iodine, as Mercola has indicated on his website that most thyroid underproduction, can be linked to low iodine....and there is almost no iodine in my diet..Never has been. During the 80's and through 90's I was an elite cyclist with less than 8% bodyfat, and huge muscle mass. The last ten years have been tough, not being in the optimal shape I had been in most of my life.....However, my Vo2 max is still much higher than 95% of tech divers, even with the big gut ( which is really more bloating than fat...but only someone I ride off my wheel on the bike is going to agree with :) In any event, I would not have launched into this discussion about me, if not for the gut photo. The Lugols should be here today or tommorow, and if the thyroid production starts, I'll certainly be posting revised photos of me in a month or so :)

update -
I added the "equipment" to the article as in context I agree it helps build differenciation from the style. Added 5.4cm metric conversion to webbing section.
I also removed ref to kydex pending further research into its suitability as a Rigid platform with similar properties to Steel or Aluminium or other metals that are suitiable.

Back PlateThe back plate and harness forms the foundation of the DIR diving equipment system.[36] . The back plate is used to anchor the harness, buoyancy compensator, and provides storage for other items. The back plate is a rigid plate with minimal padding [37] bent from flat stainless steel [38] or aluminum [39] plate and slotted for straps, or formed from other materials with similar rigidity characteristics. The choice of materials is determined by the operational needs of the diver and the environment. The back plate is purpose built for double tanks and adaptable for singles tanks as required, using either an adapter [40] or strap cutouts [41].

I am going to shoot pictures of both backplates in order to post along with the harness and other equipment configuration peices when i'm not diving and can strip my gear for its annual checkup.

The problem what that statement is that GUE instructor training is more than just GUE training. So the only people who are really trained to be able to demand that of their students are GUE instructors. It isn't the same to have a GUE Tech/Cave trained student and have them get TDI trained as an instructor and attempt to pass that off as DIR. I've been through plenty of courses as a student, and I'm quite positive that it doesn't prepare you sufficiently to be able to teach it, and its more than just taking a DIR diver and having any agency turn them into an instructor.
I understand and agree. That will not stop someone from trying to adhere to such principles, telling students it is DIR, and even advertising it as such. This is really off topic for this thread, and I think I may start a separate one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom