Wikipedia article on "Doing It Right"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good catch Lamont, I was focused too much on the standards and not on the info contained in the book/page holistically. I think we’re all in agreement about the snorkel here and its uses above water if needed for the dive, and properly stowed below water, but only If it is truly needed, otherwise leave it at home.

I'm back in Seattle next week and will be diving with the Wednesday night crowd

This depends on where you dive of course.... I do not believe I have ever needed a snorkel after a dive off Palm Beach from the 90's on....
Prior to the nineties I needed one once from a shore dive in the inlet in rough seas, when the outgoing tide made the snorkel kind of necessary at dive end.
For normal use, it would be more like having a Halcyon Diver's Life Raft..for when the boat is GONE when you surface..they are cheap, and good insurance. While I am also a freediver, I do NOT typically carry a snorkel with me on dives off of Palm Beach, as the shore is only 2 to 3 miles away on most dives, and in 30 years I have only been left by a boat one time (in maybe 10,000 dives or something ridiculous)..
However, for a diver concerned about coming up far from a dive boat, they are awesome....it all depends on how much of a threat this is.

Hang on. Haven't you previously recommended Halcyon Life Rafts as an <cough> possible source of redundant buoyancy? Yet in 10000 ridiculous dives you've had cause to use one....once?

Anyway, back to the topic, since you're the chief promulgator of the Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, any chance that you can post a few words on the topic for the Wikipedia entry?

Last edited:
Hang on. Haven't you previously recommended Halcyon Life Rafts as an <cough> possible source of redundant buoyancy? Yet in 10000 ridiculous dives you've had cause to use one....once?

Anyway, back to the topic, since you're the chief promulgator of the Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, any chance that you can post a few words on the topic for the Wikipedia entry?
I'm sure there are more than a few acrobatic pilots that have parachutes in their planes....most are happy to NEVER use one.
I stowed the Halcyon Life raft for dives off of a private boat over 25 miles from shore off of Fort Pierce....I never was left by the boat--all of our proceedures worked....it was a back-up, just in case all else failed....I can swim many miles, but not 25 witht he current going out.....

The Halcyon Diver's Life Raft would deploy in moments, and you would drop your tank if you really felt you'd be in it for a long time all alone....Hopefully your buddy would have a raft too... :)
It was also functional as a huge lift bag, or very large marker buoy.
If you dove an area where there really was a big chance ( say 5%) that you might need it, you would probably want a larger/more elastic MC Storage Pouch to make putting it back in easier after using it...

It may NEVER be a GUE approved dive site as a shore dive...however, a diver trying to be DIR and finding it necessary to do this dive from the beach may have no alternatives...

Hey I want to do a DIR deep dive and can't get any helium... so I'll just do it on air. It's ok though because I will follow all the other DIR rules

You go on and on about other agencies killing people and DIR/GI3 coming along to save the day by fixing their wonky standards, then say it's okay to change stuff if it doesn't fit the dive you're doing...

The alternative - and DIR way - would be to not do the dive

WTF is a TDI Intro to DIR (Fundamentals Course)???

Are we talking the same TDI founded by Brett Gilliam? The same one who's been GI3's best buddy throughout the decades? What's next? Dogs and cats lying together?

Pascal Bernabé » DIR Courses scroll down the page to find TDI Intro to DIR. It's nice to see how modern DIR has evolved in their handling of stage bottles among other things (see pic below).

DIR Courses.jpg

Funny, now that the originators have ditched the DIR name everyone else is squatting on it... after two decades of people saying what an insult it is, lol

Hey I want to do a DIR deep dive and can't get any helium... so I'll just do it on air. It's ok though because I will follow all the other DIR rules

You go on and on about other agencies killing people and DIR/GI3 coming along to save the day by fixing their wonky standards, then say it's okay to change stuff if it doesn't fit the dive you're doing...

The alternative - and DIR way - would be to not do the dive

WAAYY out of context....You are forgetting that in the beginning of the DIR movement, in the mid-90's to late 90's, what we were doing is trying to get "recreational divers" to begin accepting some DIR ideas, and then adding more DIR ideas to this, and more and more....

The question is valid....is the dive a safe dive...can it be DIR.. I think so..to me, the inlet dive can be safely dived by my buddies and I. GUE has their own criteria for this.....While I am DIR, I am not yet GUE, even though many of my buddies are. While I believe it will be a safe dive with my protocols, I do not know for a fact how GUE would rate this dive, given the issues that would be "different" from 99% of the dives they are dealing with.

Deep air versus trimix or triox are entirely different discussions. The inlet dive is an issue of safety factors related to access to the beach, or to a diveboat if a diver needed help, and how you deal with low on air if you are still in the inlet, and need to deal with making the turn in the current. But the divers on the inlet dive are not narced, and not in any danger as is a diver deep below a virtual overhead, and with brain function decreased. In fact, snorkelors with little training snorkel this same area regularly, though some may be out of their "safe zone" in doing so....still, I have never heard of a snorkeler accident in the inlet.

Why are you so intent on picking this apart?

Oh sorry I thought this was a discussion thread...

Maybe you can make a list for the article of which DIR standards are optional

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom