Great Lake Wrecking Crew that are Cave Divers or wish to be.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow GLWC members it was brought up at Henerys on New Years Day just how many other members are cave divers or wish to be?
Just interested and not trying to start any sub-group or anything.

TBix, Mike Lynch, myself, etc. are all in the process of training looking forward to completing training in 2012.
It is always good to have a network of buddies and the GLWC are some the best buddies you can find!

Again post if you are interested PM if you wish to get more information about training.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I've noticed the same. There are more cave divers up here than I'd thought. Most that I know of started as wreck divers, wanted penetration training, hit the caves and have hardly wreck dived since! Now that doesn't apply to all of them, but most follow that pattern. Today it seems that anyone seriously into technical diving is more often than not also into cave diving, or has at least had cave training.

It's a beautiful environment and the infrastructure in north FL or the Yucatan make cave technical diving so much easier in many ways than technical wreck diving. No boats to deal with, few weather issues (except for when the caves flood/reverse) and easy access to gas and rental gear. All of those areas can be royal PITAs with respect to technical wreck diving.

I've done a lot of cavern diving in Mex. and central Florida, and even did some outlaw cave diving back in the late 70's and early 80's in Florida. There are only 3 things that keep me from getting cert for cave diving: 1. Location--I just cannot justify all of the expense and travel incurred in training living here in Ohio. If I had the money to take multiple yearly training and diving trips to Fla. and Mex. to engage in this activity, I would no doubt do it. Cave diving has a lot of skills that need to be practiced and kept current. I don't think it's an activity one does on occasion, like one or two times a year; it needs to be done on a regular basis to keep mind and body trained for safety and enjoyment; hence, many trips to cave country. But, alas, my pockets are not that deep. 2. $$ in equipment---Knowing me, I would have to get the best and latest in speciality equipment; side mount, helmet, lights, stage tanks, etc. I really can afford this stuff, (equipment purchase is really a one-time-deal, but travel is another story) but I just would not be using it that much to justify the expense. 3. Age & position in life---I am slowing down physically (you will all hopefully find that out when you're my age) I say "hopefully" because I've really been blessed to still be actively involved in this activity. I have a wife of 47 yrs. who does not dive, so I need to maintain a balance between my two passions. If I ran off every time I "wanted" to go diving, it would not be fair to her and I probably would be single right now. Cave diving is a "far away" activity and would take a great deal of time and money to pursue on a regular basis. No doubt, the lure of cave diving is almost like the Sirens in the tale of the Odyssey. Many times I've seen those passages trailing off into the darkness and was drawn like a magnet to want to find out where it went and what sites laid beyond the darkness. For me, that will be in the next life.

A totally agree Jim that is what got me started cave diving was interest in wrecks.
There are a significant number of Tech. divers that do cave dive not all are in love with it but most have had some exposure to the training.
One thing absolutely love about cave diving is that the option is there to book off shore dives to wrecks and it you are blown out head inland to the caves.

Denny we have been through your reasons before and you know how I feel about you already!
You are an awesome diver who I admire very much!
If I can do half the things you are involved with at your age I will be pleased.
I would love to share some cave dives with you in this life or the next which ever come first my friend!
I always enjoy sharing dives with you!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I have done a few Cenote dives. One thing that has stuck with me is how safety focused the Instructors/dms were. And I was impressed with the cannister lights of course.

But their buoyancy was perfect. I mean flawless. It is funny what you remember and absorb.

CamG.. we talked about Troy Spring in October. I dived there in Dec. It was as nice as you said it would be. Quite a spring.

Choby,
That was my same thought. The good thing for me was I finished by Trimix class last summer! So this year is cave! And then advanced Trimix in the summer. Man, I am way addicted to diving. :D Good thing scuba interventions are not common place or I would be in trouble!

Choby,
That was my same thought. The good thing for me was I finished by Trimix class last summer! So this year is cave! And then advanced Trimix in the summer. Man, I am way addicted to diving. :D Good thing scuba interventions are not common place or I would be in trouble!

Intervention? You're our hero man. You're livin' the dream!! :D

Intervention?

For my cigars, maybe.

For diving? That would get ugly.

I"m also starting my cave training after years of technical wreck diving. My decision was so I could dive more during the winter. We are pretty much land locked during the winter here in Chicago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom