Here's how to strip aluminum tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

been a while, but how did your project turn out FireInMyBones?

I was only able to dive them once. There were no issues and they passed hydro with ease. Having Vertigo recently has prevented me from diving.

I think they look really nice though.

Sorry to bring up an older thread.

I'm stripping my Luxfer 80cf aluminum tank. its a mid 90's tank, so its a bit older..

The bright yellow paint came off great with the stripper, however, it has like a primer, or a black under coat under the paint so I didn't get it down to the nice aluminum, there is a ring around the top part of the tank about an inch down from the neck thats bare aluminum and after that the whole tank is a black colour. bogus!

Any ideas? do older tanks have a special coating on the aluminum ?

Thanks

---------- Post added May 12th, 2012 at 06:22 PM ----------

nevermind!

Gave it a wash, let it dry and sanded a small spot and BAMB beautiful shiny aluminum!

I stripped my first tank today using the same stuff. Home Depot had the same product but in an aresol can for a couple bucks cheaper. No brushes and only 1 scraper and 2 scotch brite pad and a garden hose. Whole thing maybe took 30 minutes. I didn't polish it so I'm sure it could look better but it passed hydro and vis so I'm diving it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom