MMSI for those holding a FCC license

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tug

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Lifeline and was going to apply for my MMSI through BoatUS but noticed that the form isn't for those holding a FCC license. As I hold a MROL and GMDSS license I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation as me. If so, does anyone have any experience calling the FCC for a number?

In reading more on the BoatUS website, this seems like it's more for those with ship station license for their vessel. Due to this being a strictly recreation use and me not having a vessel with a ship station license it seems like I would be ok using the BoatUS form?

An MMSI is assigned to a vessel, not a radio owner. Some vessels also require Ship's Station licenses. You don't need either for your Lifeline.

Actually, they have added a new catergory for portable VHF units for Scuba Diving and are not associated with a particular boat. I just got my lifeline unit and the first step inregistering the device is to go out and get an MMSI #, the DSC "LocateME" feature will not work without it.

When I filled out the application for the MMSI #, on the boatus website, I followed all the directions provided. There is a spot to put in all kinds of info, like my primary dive platform was a boat (Usually with 3 people onboard) and my local area is Mendocino, Sonoma, and Monterey. The CG should have access to most of my info in case something does go wrong and a radio distress call is placed.

As stated above the red distress button is inactive until you register the unit and upload the MMSI number. Takes less than ten minutes to complete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom