Can people really get scuba certified without knowing how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This past year, I came across two certified divers that mentioned they actually do not know how to swim.

Is this actually possible? Isn't this a basic requirement of all agencies?

Am sincerely interested to hear from those that were certified without knowing how to swim and the teaching methods applied.

It is a basic requirement of all agencies - and every entry-level course that I know of includes some form of swimming/watermanship assessment.

It is possible, however, as negligent dive instructors will occasionally fail to fully teach their courses and/or don't have the ethical values and moral compass needed to turn down a customers' cash simply because they don't meet the most basic safety prerequisites for training.

Such instructors would be sanctioned by their respective agencies if this were reported under the appropriate Quality Assurance programs.

One of my friends and occasional diving buddies fit into this category. We did our AOW certification together.

The water requirement is with or w/o mask, fins & snorkel for most agencies. So if someone can snorkel, then they can pass the water test.

We have had students that we have taught how to swim so they could do SCUBA.

SCUBA is easier than snorkelling, Snorkelling is easier than swimming. So should someone learn how to SCUBA, then Snorkel, then swim?

Think how many divers there would be!

Should someone be comfortable in the water? Can they be comfortable w/o knowing how to swim?

Do you need to know how to fly w/o a plane to become a pilot?

These are just things to consider.

A former dive buddy of mine said he was a very poor swimmer, and that he really should take lessons. He was certified at a very reputable LDS. But remember that you do not have to have great crawl form or speed to complete 200 yds.-mtrs. in a pool. As long as you keep going and do not touch anything but water you can pass--no time limit, officially. Also, as mentioned, you MAY be given the choice of 300 meters (PADI) with mask/fins/snorkel-- WAY easier--usually up to the instructor (a bone I have to pick--it should be the same everywhere, and if you have the option of one or the other you should get to choose). This is a heated and much discussed topic on SB, and rightfully so. It is frightening to think some people actually get certified who can not swim at all. On the other hand, how GOOD a swimmer one should be is a very good discussion.

I have never met a diver that can not swim. I guess they exist, but they would not pass certification in the OW I had. We had to do a 300 yard swim, and had to float without touching anything for something like 15 minutes.

Well, I am glad I was not the only one questioning the existence on non-swimmer / scuba divers.

I was hoping to hear from those who went through the course and managed it without learning how to swim. What went through their heads and how challenging it must have been.

I was certified over twenty years ago and I was just wondering if the agencies have lifted the swimming requirements.

I must say though that one of the non-swimmer divers was actually quite good with her buoyancy skills and confidence. I would never have guessed she was a non-swimmer until she mentioned it.

Yes, it is possible, in fact I know it happens. There was a time when all certification agencies required swimming. That is no longer the case. While some still require swimming, others have made swimming an optional skill allowing students to substitute snorkeling for swimming. It is quite easy for non-swimmers to snorkel. I know because I was a snorkeler before I was a swimmer. Unless things have changed recently, all agencies still require at least a 10 minute float, but for someone who is overweight that's a snap.

Lots of folks deny the facts, claiming snorkeling is swimming.

I've always believed that the swim/float was to ensure general safety for participation in an activity that takes place entirely around water. When I have certified divers on the boat, I assume that they are swimmers... and are capable of surviving for a short period of time in the water, should they fall off the boat, go for a shore paddle between dives etc. During those periods I have a duty of care to the divers (as DM/Instructor/Operator).

If there was an accident from my boat, where a certified diver got into difficulties due to lack of basic swimming capability (below the standard demanded for OW certification) then I'd take legal action - both against the diver themselves and the instructor that certified them. Simple as that.

"Swim" test is really a misnomer. It is more a test of survival ability and comfort. That is, don't panic, don't drown, move a couple hundred meters somehow, and remain on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom