Cessna Plane in Perch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little history of the plane in Perch Lake. It was built about 1955. It was a corporate plane. Towards its last life it was used to haul mail from Farmington,NM to Colorado. It was not used by jumpers. One day the pilot had a bad landing hitting the port motor trashing it pretty bad. At the time it would have cost more to repair or replace the motor then the plane was worth. It was then trashed.

Yes, Thanks Peaches! Nice write up with some "fill in the holes" info for us newbies....... :D

Thanks for the history lesson as well as your contributions, Peaches!

Hello Peaches, welcome to Scubaboard! First, thanks for putting the plane in Perch, we gain a lot of enjoyment from diving it.

The story of how you all planted it with a tow truck and lift bags is highly informative. I always imagined a crane was involved.

We had 6 divers and used a 200lb lift bag to plant a little 3' Venus statue in the Blue Hole, I guess that was overkill.

So the Blue Hole has been open to diving since 1972, great bit of info there, thanks for the history lesson, I'm sure folks here on the RMO thread would love to hear more about the history of NM diving.

Thanks again to you Peaches.

"Peaches" thank you for coming forward and posting the information about all your efforts along with your volunteers to get the plane into Perch Lake and the diving dock built. I have had the pleasure of swimming through it many times and now will enjoy and apprecaite swimming through it even more!!!! I printed your post so when I am there again in the future I can share your story with my students!!!

Thanks Peaches. Learning the history behind these Santa Rosa sites is interesting and valuable. Do you have stories behind the other stuff in Perch? There is a car, a pipe, a cone. etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom