Dropped Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While getting out of the shallows after a recent shore dive, I dropped a fin. It sank to the floor (only about 6 feet). My instructor swam down and got it for me.

But what if I'd been on a boat dive at 100 feet? What happens then?

Just curious.

You swim in circles :D

Actually swimming with one fin and full dive kit can be difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

That's why they have dive buddies is the short answer. Of course there are the usual factors to consider (ending pressure group/nitrogen loading and experience level, etc - if it is not safe then this may be a recovery for another day). It is possible to swim with one fin - though rather slowly and not against a current. This is achieved by wrapping the foot/leg without a fin around the one with a fin and kicking as as you normally would.

I was going to say the answer is: You buy new fins!

Re-descending to recover dropped equipment has caused more than a few dive incidents. Of course, there's no reason not to go and collect lost equipment - but it should be conducted as a separate dive, with some planning and risk assessment. Problems tend to happen when divers immediately bounce down, without pause for thought - having minimal air reserves (after a dive without changing cylinders) and when still freshly saturated from their last dive.

On a deep site, in current, or in low viz, prudence may insist that you write off the loss in respect of safety.

As a rule of thumb, I try not to dive with anything that would cause too much anguish if lost. The sea claims treasures, it always has, it always will.

Dive enough and you get to level the score. Over the years I've found literally dozens of masks, weight pockets... even a camera/housing. Only last week I found a nice dive watch... going to go and buy a replacement strap-pin for it today :D

My friend dropped his fin gearing up in 45ft of water. Instead of swimming down the anchor line as we normally do, we dropped straight down and were able to spot it on the way to the bottom. He put it on and off we went.

Another time shore diving the swells came up fast and we got worked getting out of the water. My dive buddy lost her fin, and mask, well she also pushed my mask right off my face too. I tried to wade out into the pounding surf to recover the gear, but in a drysuit I wasn't comfortable with the risk of being knocked off my feet especially since I was already tired. Lost all of it...oh well, we suffered no injuries other than pride.

NEVER consider a piece of gear so important that unnecessary risks are taken to recover it. Often times on popular dives sites things will be picked up soon enough by fellow divers, and hopefully returned to the rightful owner. Which is a good reason to mark your gear.

If it happens at a location with a 100' bottom, you cuss a lot and then go buy a pair of fins with spring straps.

Cross your ankles and do a dolphin kick. Or so we were taught and practiced during Open Water 1. Oh wait..that was before...nevermind.

Tip the DM very well to retrieve it.. :)

As has been said,...don't loose your life over lost gear. It can be replaced. Be sure all gear is correctly attached and snug as appropriate. I have retrieved lots of fins for students, but haven't seen to much in the line of losses once they have more experience.. But it can and does happen. Dive lots and get comfortable with your gear and how it fits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom