Exuma Sound in Jan: Suit needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm leaving for a trip to the Exuma sound on the Aquacat next week. Their website says the water is 72-74* and there is 5 dives a day. It's a weeklong trip.

I'm not a cold-water wuss, but I like to be comfortable. 72-74 is drysuit water to me, especially for repeated or long exposures. One dive, I'm fine. More than two? Fuhgeddaboutit.

I'm planning on taking my drysuit, since I hate being wet. (You REALLY have no idea how much I hate it.) To me wet=uncomfortable if the water is anything less than 85*.

However, I understand the pain in the butt of travelling, ESPECIALLY with luggage, and a drysuit is a lot of luggage.

So, worth it to go dry? (I'm like 99% on this side of the argument)

Or say, "screw it", take my 5mm wetsuit and be uncomfortable while diving to save effort and hassle in the travel process?

(Have I mentioned how much I despise diving wet?)

50Fathom:
Sounds like you are really 99.9% dry convinced. We are going to San Salvador the first week of Feb (Riding Rock Resort) and will have the same water temp. I met the head of dive operations at Riding Rock while at DEMA and she recommended a 7 mm and a core warmer. I like being wet, but I hate being cold. We will only be doing 3 dives a day, but I would get cold even with that number if I'm under-protected. With an anticipated 5 dives a day, go as warm as possible. Either a dry suit or the 7mm-core wamer idea. Getting cold ruins everything, or close to everything.
I've convinced my spouse to get a new 7 mm and core warmer and have strongly recommended to our whole group of 15 to wear at least 7 mm or a dry suit.

Have a great week and enjoy.

Rob

+1 Rob. Have fun in San Sal. It's spectacular, keep your eyes peeled for the Hammers! Last time i was there they came across a pod of pilot whales too.

If you go dry though, 50, bring spares.
I sincerely doubt you find much of use to you in the islands.
Also, you might see if Aqua cat'll do the Rose island blue hole at night. I've never been there at night and not seen at least two, more recently three, very large Logger heads.

Personally, I've just had Santa Ebay me up a 5mm hooded shortie and a 7mm full length. I dont mind wet, i dont do cold. I have seen folk on NP out wearing only shorts/T's and a smile recently though. 77f surface temp. So it's horses for courses i guess.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom