DC1400 video light addons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefastpony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a DC1400 with dual strobes on a custom tray from Big Blue that is 12'' wide in order to space out the dual strobes. Since the DC1400 shoots HD video and due to the ease of the piano style keys I have been shooting more video than my previous DC800. Here's the question I have: is it is possible to add two video lights onto the tray and have them on during the whole dive while also having the strobes to help with the pics? If possible I was thinking of adding dual SeaLife SL980's but I have heard mixed reviews in regards to them being leak prone. Does anybody know if SeaLife had addressed this issue? I have attached a pic of my current setup with the tray to give people a visual if it helps. I'm a visual person. :D

Attachments

• 1170.jpg
    1170.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 292
I use one with my DC1200 in tandem with a flash unit and have experienced no leaking in several dives down to 80-90 feet. I suspect that the reports are exceptions rather than rules. Just make sure to follow the directions and service the O-rings as described in the documentation. Only issues I have had have been making sure the flash and video light fields overlap properly when using the video light as a focusing light for still photography. Still learning the ropes with the system, but it seems to work pretty well.

The way the flash and video light trays are designed, you could do could go any combo of two you wanted. The only issue you may have with using a vid+flash is that one of the fiber optic sync lines will need to be removed from the clip-on unit from the face of the camera. Using two vid lights would only require you to remove the clip-on unit.

Have fun!

Is there a link for custom tray from Big Blue that is 12'' wide?

I have a DC800 and use 1 strobe and 1 video light. I have not had any problems with leaks in +/- 20 dives. Looking at the picture, is that a single tray for both strobes? I have separate trays for the strobe and the Video light, when both are on they are stacked and use a longer thumb screw which came with the video light to mount the camera.

I have a DC800 and use 1 strobe and 1 video light. I have not had any problems with leaks in +/- 20 dives. Looking at the picture, is that a single tray for both strobes? I have separate trays for the strobe and the Video light, when both are on they are stacked and use a longer thumb screw which came with the video light to mount the camera.

Yes, It is a single tray for both strobes. It is a custom tray. So much better than the SeaLife design. You can configure lights how you want them. My mistake. It is not a Big Blue tray. I remember now, I got the tray from www.nocturnallights.com you will find the tray on there, they also have an 18" tray.

It seems I think people have missed the purpose of my intents in regards to the video lights. I want to add two video lights in conjunction with the two strobe that I currently have, not replace the strobes with the video lights.

I would think you would just have to run 1 or two of the lights from the bottom. Would like like a 4 legged octopus.

Back
Top Bottom