Need advice on mask buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpdiverpr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm so new to diving that I'm still snorkeling. I'm headed to the Cayman Islands. Instead of renting I'm going to buy a mask and snorkel. I came across an article that said the mask should have black silicone for better vision. Not clear. Is this true? Thanks for your help.

Black vs Clear silicone is mostly a matter personal preference. Where clear silicone tends to let more light through the skirt, thus seeming a bit more roomy & less claustrophobic to some, the black skirt is sometimes preferred to cut down on glare that can be a nuisance to some people. The clear skirt can tend show some age by turning yellowish after some time. The most important feature of a mask is the fit & seal. If it doesn't fit correctly & doesn't seal properly, it is going to be a big pain (in the "you know where") & really reduce the enjoyment. If you can, try to get to a local dive shop & try on different models. If the staff knows their stuff, they should be able to fit you properly.

I totally agree with tstormdiver as to the mask. I'd like to add something on a snorkel. I am not a fan of the water-seal-float snorkels. Those are the ones with a floating ball or other contraption at the top of the snorkel- more trouble than they are worth, and they are pretty pricey. Get a snorkel with three important features: 1) a flexible portion of the "tube" near the mouth piece, and 2) a purge feature at the bottom of the mouth piece, and 3) a decent diameter tube. You should be able to stick you index finger in the tube. Should run you about $30.00. Also, get a soft rubber snorkel keeper that looks like the number 8 and use it instead of the keeper that comes with the snorkel. Most other snorkel keepers will have a tendency to become disconnected, and you don't want to lose you new snorkel! BTW, I have almost 100 dives, and I still snorkel a bunch on nearly every dive trip to warm water venues.
DivemasterDennis

While you can't beat trying on a mask for a sure fit, I bought this one, and I LOVE it. Low volume, soft, comfortable, well-sealing silicone, wide view, and quite inexpensive. My wife and I both have them and swear by them (even more since we added Slap Straps to them). Cressi Big Eyes Black Skirt Mask

The most important thing with a mask is FIT, FIT, FIT. Take a friend with you to your local dive shop and expect to pay $120 for a mask (this is the most expensive I've seen), if the mask that fits you costs less great. When the clerk ask if you want help just say no thanks. Start trying on masks buy tilting your head back and and sitting the mask on your face and having your friend look around the seal and if there are any spaces between the skirt and your face, if there are try another one on. when you find one that looks like it fits good, have your friend look at the inner seal and see if that seal contact your face all around. once you find the perfect one start to inhale ever so slightly through your nose if there are no leaks and the mask seals this is the one. Do this until you find the perfect mask. If you don't find it at the first dive shop go to another one. Price does not mater if the mask costs $20 you found the right one, if it costs $120 you found the right one. When you find the perfect mask, buy two because the manufacturer will most likely discontinue it before you purchase another one. I fount the perfect mask for me a $30 SCUBAMAX MK153 mask, I bought two extras.

http://www.divesports.com/ScubaMax-MK153-Frameless-Mask-p/scmx-mk153.htm

Last edited:
Black vs Clear silicone is mostly a matter personal preference.
this couldn't be more true. I prefer the black skirt, mainly because i'm easily distracted and the glare that sometimes accompanies a clear skirt is quite annoying to me, but my wife absolutely cannot stand being in the water with a black mask on so she wears clear while snorkeling (she doesn't dive.... yet).

The only problem I have with my clear mask is at times it'll let so much ambient light in that I see a glare and won't be able to adjust my eyes to see into dark crevices.

For clear warm water and snorkeling I prefer a black mask to cut down on glare. For night dives, and darker water, I prefer a clearer skirt so I can see light signals.

As to snorkels I happen to like my dry snorkel. It has never failed me and probably saved me a couple times from swallowing water as a wave washed over me.

The most important thing with a mask is FIT, FIT, FIT.
Right, Right, Right.

I agree with all that has been said. Fit is most important. Also consider whether you want a purge valve or not. I have always had black mask and really like them, but it has more to do with the fact that I have prescription lenses and have gone with ones I can have them put in easily.

Back
Top Bottom