Looking for advice on back up lights for cave country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dantfarley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a BigBlue TL6 canister light, but need two backup lights for cave country. Cavern and AN/DP will be the classes I'm taking at Ginnie Springs.
What backups do you carry?
Your opinions and help are always appreciated
Please include links to help me with my purchase if you can please

Thank you

Dan

Lots of threads on this subject. Try using Google to search Scubaboard for this topic.

In this particular case, I would say talk to your cave instructor.

Check out the Underwater Kinetics SL3 light. Very reasonable cost. But as said lots of posts on backup lights do a search and talk to others and see what they are using.

I don't have very good light karma (example - One primary is at the bottom of the St. Lawrence river... on same trip, broke what I thought was a pretty unbreakable backup but didn't realize it till went to turn it on in ocean and flooded it.) ANYHOO... one light I've had no problems with... including switch issues, etc.... is the Dorcy I've linked to below. I have three of these - one stays on my harness, and the other two stay in my truck to back up my backups. I've bought them all from Piranha, and couldn't be happier with them. I've referred several people who feel the same way. Best story is a friend lost his at at the Graveyard at Lake Jocassee and our instructor found it when we went back two months later, and it still worked like a charm after being under water two months!

Penetrater 220, Piranha Dive Manufacturing

I also have the Dorcy lights as my backup light and have used them for primaries as well for some dives. They have been beat around bounced off things while moving the gear around and they have taken the abuse and still work like new.

For backmount, I like my Halcyon Scouts. They don't work well helmet mounted though, since they rotate when you try to twist them on one-handed, so I have a couple of UK Q40s for sidemount.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom