Guanacaste in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like we're staying in Tamarindo the whole week. At least one of the dive operators I'm looking at - Pacific Coast Diving - runs a shuttle van from Tamarindo at no extra charge to their boat at the Flamingo marina.

I have done the Catalinas from both Ocotal and Flamingo. It was a good hour boat trip and cost $125 for a two tank trip from Ocotal. From Flamingo it was maybe twenty minutes, a much smoother trip and only $75. A no-brainer from my perspective.

only $75. A no-brainer from my perspective.

I guess that would be Costa Rica Diving that took you to the Catalinas for $75. That's a pretty good deal. They're up to 80 bucks now, but still a pretty good price.

I'm still leaning toward Pacific Coast Dive Center and researching experiences with them here on Scubaboard. I would go with Rich Coast if I decide to drive up to Cocos and do some local Papagayo diving I guess.

My trip went really well, and I got in two good days of diving at the Catalinas. Here's the description and video from my Vimeo page:

Islas Santa Catalina
Guanacaste, Costa Rica

The Catalinas lie just off Costa Rica’s NW Pacific coast. While the visibility isn’t what you’d find in the Caribbean or South Pacific, the area is notable for its abundance and variety of fish, including many different species of puffers, whitetip sharks, eels and rays.

[vimeo]34127756[/vimeo]

Dive Details (dates/operator/sites):

December 5 with Pacific Coast Dive Center, Flamingo (sites: Sombreros/Roca Susia)
December 8 with Agua Rica, Tamarindo (sites: Catalina Grande/The Elephant)
Music courtesy RobbH under Creative Commons license (ccmixter.org/files/RobbH/32597)

I've spent many months in Costa Rica, most of the time being in the province of Guanacaste. You're going to love it! I did all of my diving certifications at Summer Salt Diving in Playas del Coco. I got my Open Water and Advanced Open certs with them, and I had the best time of my life. This was almost 4 years ago and I still keep in touch with Patrick, one of the owners, and the rest of them. Definitely check them out.

If you stay in that region with any reputable dive shop, you're going to have a great time! :) Enjoy!

EDIT - I dove the Catalinas and Bat Islands....amazing times! Went on a bull shark dive, and unfortunately, didn't see any, but still tons of fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom