Bonaire; 2 weird fish vaguely like trigger fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Was in Bonaire last week & a buddy pointed out 2 roughly dinner plate-sized (at a guess) fish passing me aways shallower along the reef. The body form reminds me of a trigger fish, but the top & bottom fins don't quite look like those in trigger fish photos I see, and they moved them side-to-side rather like I think mola molas do.

Any idea what these are? I'm cropping the shots; didn't get a chance to get close for good shots.

IMG_9000.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

Ocean triggerfish? We saw one large one on Buddy's reef at dusk one day:

oceantrigger2.jpg

If they are black with an electric blue line running along the base of the fins they are black durgeons. Except for the color which is actually hard to determine from the photo that is a perfect rendition, including the mola mola style movement.

^+1... Definately Ocean Triggers

Thanks, guys. Glad to know. I believe I've seen black durgeons before, which were quite attractive, but these guys were different.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom