Becoming a Public Safety Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When planning to become a PSD what type of training does one need to pursue? I am starting to plan out what direction I want diving to take me. This next year I am getting my AOW and Nitrox certs and I have also been looking at trying to fit in a Diver Rescue and Accident Management class as well. But I was wondering if there is any agency out there that specifically does PSD classes. Also once someone has the right training what is the proper way in joining a PSD team.

I am a member of the U.S. Water Rescue Dive Team, based out of Billings, MT. As for an agency, there are a few out there but we personally use ERDI. ERDI is part of International Training, the folks who run SDI and TDI. I'm not an expert about it but our Dive Officer is. He's currently serving as an officer in the committee that will determine training curriculum for Public Safety dive teams. if PSD is what you're thinking about doing, there's none better to talk to. He'd be glad to answer any questions and discuss training options.

Check out our website: U.S. Water Rescue Dive Team
Have a look around if you like, there's plenty of information there. Our Dive Officer's number is in the Contact section as well if you want to learn more.

Good luck in your venture but I hope it isn’t in your plan to make a living at it. I think our team is one of the higher paid ones and we get $.50 an hour which works out to $80.00 a month. :wink: I think it added a dollar or two a month towards my retirement.

Right now I'd spend lots of time diving.., getting yourself as much experience as you can. By all means get your AOW, Nitrox and Rescue too. We won't even consider anyone with less than 25 hours of bottom time, and the more the better.
As far as your comment...
\
Also once someone has the right training what is the proper way in joining a PSD team.
...if I can make a suggestion, go about it from the other direction. Contact your local team and express an interest in joining. Most of us are more than willing to give you an honest take on the job, let you know what steps need to be taken to become a team member and they can direct your training. Like WreckDiver stated, ERDi does a top notch job in the area of PSD training but they are not exclusive to the field. Agencies like Dive Rescue International (DRI) also offer training too. Some trainers like myself and I think DRI too, (You can correct me if I am wrong, Blades) will not train anyone not associated to a PSD team. Also, not all training is similar. You'd be far better off getting the same training as your dive team uses. Regardless of anyone's prior training, to join our team means taking all our training, start to finish. It is the only way to ensure that you are trained to our SOP's.

Good Luck!!

I'm wanting to dive for our Rescue Squad. But I have to do the extrication stuff as well. I'm debating if it is worth it. They have a hard time getting divers for recoveries. I just want more dive time.

Thank you all for your input. Becoming a PSD is one of my goals in diving and i hope to become one once i am done with college. But right now i am trying to devise a plan on how to get PSD training and join a PSD dive team as well. This next year i am planning on joining my local VFD so when i go to join a PSD team i also have a little bit more experience under my belt.

My suggestion is to get a lot of dive and bottom time and don’t worry about PSD training. Also don’t worry about being a card collector. All the cards or certs in the world will not mean a thing if that training doesn’t fit in with your future team.

Maybe some better suited training would be human anatomy and evidence preserving and handling which is far different than what you see on tv and a great asset in this business.

Get on a team then train with them so you are all on the same sheet of music. Just as an example, you train like crazy to be the best in the South Eastern US. Then come up here and you are right back to square one not having a clue what you’re doing. It is much easier to go from the NW to the SE than the other way around so plan on where you want to go.

Good luck and don’t rush into anything. We like to take non divers and work with them from scratch. With our team the first step is to get hired full-time. Then after your probation period you can apply for the team. This gives us a chance to witness performance and attitude prior to team acceptance.

ERDI or DRI are the two leading agencies for PSD diver training. As an old PSD, i recomend getting as much dive experience as you can. This does not mean collecting C-cards but going Nitrox, AOW, Rescue are three "critical" ones. ERDI course are what i like and those will provide the public safety aspect.
there is plently of more advanced dive stuff you can do...like cave, wreck, trimix, deep(er) diving, etc but i don't consider those as critical.

... Some trainers like myself, and I think DRI too, (you can correct me if I am wrong, Blades) will not train anyone not associated to a PSD team.

Though the original post was dated in December I wanted to respond because it has now been "bumped." I regret that I did not see this in December but I was in the travel mode at the time. I just wanted to affirm what DITCH-DIVER stated earlier and offer a small bit of clarification.

Because public safety diving differs from recreational diving, Dive Rescue International does not provide "recreational" training and DRI training is provided EXCLUSIVELY to those who are affiliated with the public safety sector. Participants must be affiliated with a recognized agency/organization/team that is dispatched or notified through a 911 center, EOC or similar communication center.

The ONLY EXCEPTION are divers who receive a letter of sponsorship from a public safety agency/organization/team. Because some teams require training and certification prior to affiliation, Dive Rescue International makes an exception. If a person is interested in attending a Dive Rescue International training program and is uncertain if they qualify or meet the pre-requisites, all they have to do is call our office at (800) 248-3483 and ask.

I hope my explanation helps to clear any confusion.

Fraternally,

Blades Robinson

NOTE: To see Dive Rescue International courses offered in your region, please visit our online training calendar at:
http://www.diverescueintl.com/Training_Calendar.aspx?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom