Divator full face mask- Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

123frankie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've never used this kind of mask b4. I was wondering about adjusting the rubber noise piece. Sould that noise piece fit tight? And how do you clear your ears?Do you push up the mask against the noise from the chin? My noise piece has two screws on my rubber noise piece inside my mask.Do i just unsrew the two screws all the way or just part way to adjust. Also if you know of any problems people have been having with these masks. The guy who repairs gear at the dive shop says he doesn't know alot about these masks. But says the fire dept uses them. He says that these guys have alot of problems with these masks and only use them because of comutations. I guess the fire dept has a hard time taking these masks off under water and putting them back on is one of the problems. I got this mask because of teeth problems. Any information is helpful. I feel if you get the mask to fit right. That it should be a great mask. I feel that you have the extra head straps and don't need to worry about the reg in your mouth which makes this mask better in some ways. I can see if the mask comes off that it could be a pain to get back on with gloves on. But like anything. A little pratice should solve that problem. Thanks for your help Frank

oh lord, ok here we go.
There is nothing wrong with them, and they are fantastic. They are designed to NOT have to be removed underwater, hence the spider strap that is next to impossible to remove without straps. Basically, it won't come off unless you try to take it off. There's a few videos online somewhere that show proper strap adjustment and what not.

The nose blocks are supposed to be placed below your nostrils so you can push the mask up to block your nostrils so you can equalize that way. Takes some getting used to, but it works.

Might I also suggest learning a non-nose block equalization technique?

Could be a perfect time to learn. :wink:

If you don't get a good nostril seal you have three alternatives: one is to glue a piece of thick smooth skin neoprene on to the structure, wear a pair of nose clips or learn a non-block technique.

They are a great mask..., those who 'have problems' with them just are not using them properly. To respond to a few of your comments...,

The screws in the nose block are a sometime aftermarket add-on by users to prevent the nose block from falling out. You can back them off to move the block higher then put them back in. (a small zap strap will do the same thing) I prefer to have the block below my nose so I can nose breathe while diving. If I need the block to equalize I hold the reg portion and slightly push it in and up to contact my nose.

They are crazy easy to clear, and very difficult to flood. When not diving helmets, AGA's are the only other mask we use. Each of our divers has to practice full remove and replace with an instructor at least once a year. We've even played in a pool buddy breathing with four guys on one AGA. If it is fully removed, you grab the bottom straps and pull it down over your head, then like clearing a mask you hold the top and faceplate, then push the purge and it'll clear no problem. Just do not practice this without a buddy and preferably a trained FFM instructor to provide instruction and guidance.

The biggest issue I have seen with people complaining about the mask is improper donning. You need it to be put on right. First loosen all five of the spider straps out as far as they will go. Pull the mask down over your head ensuring the the strap is down the back of your head as far as it'll go. Tighten up the bottom two straps nice and snug, equal on each side but not too tight to hurt your jaw. Then tighten the temple straps. Now the top strap, but it should only be a very small amount. If you have more than an inch of strap up top then it is too much. Most full grown men I see using the mask never tough it at all. If you are getting bubbling at the top you need to snug up the bottom again then the temples in that order. Pulling on the top one too much will cause the mask to want to pull up over your chin, which pulls the mask away from your face and the bubbling will get worse.

Make sure that when you tighten the mask you pull the straps back along your head, and not out at a right angle from your head. That will cause tearing of the skirt where the strap buckles are attached and ruin your skirt.

It may take a dozen dives or so to get use to it and how tight you want to tighten it. It'll seal, trust me. I've even had my kids when they were 8 and 9 years old wearing one in the shallow end of our pool and they could get a good seal. You will just have to play with it. Once you get use to it you'll never want to put another reg in your mouth!!

They are a great mask..., those who 'have problems' with them just are not using them properly. To respond to a few of your comments...,

The screws in the nose block are a sometime aftermarket add-on by users to prevent the nose block from falling out. You can back them off to move the block higher then put them back in. (a small zap strap will do the same thing) I prefer to have the block below my nose so I can nose breathe while diving. If I need the block to equalize I hold the reg portion and slightly push it in and up to contact my nose.

They are crazy easy to clear, and very difficult to flood. When not diving helmets, AGA's are the only other mask we use. Each of our divers has to practice full remove and replace with an instructor at least once a year. We've even played in a pool buddy breathing with four guys on one AGA. If it is fully removed, you grab the bottom straps and pull it down over your head, then like clearing a mask you hold the top and faceplate, then push the purge and it'll clear no problem. Just do not practice this without a buddy and preferably a trained FFM instructor to provide instruction and guidance.

The biggest issue I have seen with people complaining about the mask is improper donning. You need it to be put on right. First loosen all five of the spider straps out as far as they will go. Pull the mask down over your head ensuring the the strap is down the back of your head as far as it'll go. Tighten up the bottom two straps nice and snug, equal on each side but not too tight to hurt your jaw. Then tighten the temple straps. Now the top strap, but it should only be a very small amount. If you have more than an inch of strap up top then it is too much. Most full grown men I see using the mask never tough it at all. If you are getting bubbling at the top you need to snug up the bottom again then the temples in that order. Pulling on the top one too much will cause the mask to want to pull up over your chin, which pulls the mask away from your face and the bubbling will get worse.

Make sure that when you tighten the mask you pull the straps back along your head, and not out at a right angle from your head. That will cause tearing of the skirt where the strap buckles are attached and ruin your skirt.

It may take a dozen dives or so to get use to it and how tight you want to tighten it. It'll seal, trust me. I've even had my kids when they were 8 and 9 years old wearing one in the shallow end of our pool and they could get a good seal. You will just have to play with it. Once you get use to it you'll never want to put another reg in your mouth!!

Perfect post.

I use a similar mask (guardian) and I absolutely love it. At first it was the communications that I liked, then the warmth while cold water diving. Now - I rarely dive without it. I brought it to the keys a few weeks back and to Antigua last week. Never floods, Never fogs, I can breathe through my nose or mouth - and no jaw fatigue on long dives.

I love it.

Good advice. One thing to add.

When you clear the mask, it usually helps to close your eyes before pushing the purge button as any remaining water may shoot right into your eyes when you push that button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom