Rookies looking for a little help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HighSeasYoda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all, my wife & I got certified a couple of months ago and are looking for a little advice on where to go diving the next couple of months to get some practice before a trip to Cozumel in March. I'm thinking of trying the Comal but not sure if that is a good place for a couple of relatively inexperienced divers to go. Got certified at Medina, but thinking that will be a little too cold at this point - the warmer the better (if possible). We're from San Antonio but not afraid to drive a little.

We dove in Nassau in November & absolutely loved it, but then again I'm pretty easy. I had a blast at our OW dives at Medina Lake when you could barely see your hand in front of your face.

Appreciate any help

The Comal is very good in every respect ... except depth. You'll find 12' right in front of the steps at Hinman Island park. Great place to work on your buoyancy -- which is most challenging in shallow water.

Or book a boat dive at Lake Travis with Lake Travis Scuba. You'll need a dive light at anything below 20 or 30' on a sunny day.

Comal river would be a good practice dive for you all. The water temperature is always 72 degrees, year around.

Rene

I spent a lot of time at the comal after I got certified before hitting the lakes. Its shallow and Vis is usually pretty good. A few of us are looking to go out there this Saturday send me a PM if you are interested. Temp is usually 72-75 year round so it only sucks when you get out in the winter.

Jacob

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the Comal would be a good place for us to start. Will have to check out Travis Lake also, but not too sure I can talk her into it until it warms up a little.

What thickness of wetsuit would y'all recommend for the Comal? 3mm be enough?

Appreciate the help and the invite.

You can always come along with some of us folks in the North Clan of the Swampers.
You sound young, eager and healthy. Is your Wife a good strong Gal ??
You see, My Burro... he's getting old and tired and PETA is starting to get after me about using it to haul our gear down to the dive sites.

Timeliner,

Is it true that Dixie has joined the Occupy Dennisson group?

May your towels always be warm, your brandy room temperature and your wetsuit warm...

Merry Christmas from Tyler

Charlie and Donna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom