Which House Reef in Lembeh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im looking at options for returning to Lembeh next year and Im wondering if anyone can share their experiences of House Reefs at various resorts/ any resorts that offer unlimited diving there. Im particularly looking for one that is easily accessible for photographers - not too deep for long bottom times and excellent concentration and diversity of critters. So if you can share what you saw in which house reef Id appreciate it.

I know theres going to be all the typical sites hairball, nudi falls etc, and that I will be looking at diving also of course. But I'll be looking to diving them for pure photography.

I want to do some experimenting with lighting and other techniques and prefer a house reef that has great subjects.

Also anyone know when the spotting season for Blue Ring is? Didnt see any last May!

Anyone have any experience of Black Sand Dive Resort?

Im not looking for boutique (so prob no KBR for me), but small/mid and cosy resort with good food and guides.

just one name to remem...Jahir I and II and night dive! thats all you need to know. macro haven

KBR has a great house reef! Last time they had a pgmy sea horse at around 60'. Lots of nudis,cuttlefish,etc.
We dove in front of Black Sand Dive Resort and we were diving on what was their house reef. We saw some cool critters there! Have fun!

I know you said no KBR, but I have to say that the house reef dives there were largely the equal of the boat dives. On the house reef, we saw schools of Banggai cardinalfishes, the biggest black frogfish we saw in the whole trip, and many other amazing creatures, some of which we also saw on the boat dives. (It was 2006, so my memory of the specifics is a bit vague, but I remember thinking that the house reef was astonishing.) It was shallow, with a max depth, if I recall, of about 30 feet, and the entry and exit were simple.

Hi There, What time of year are you thinking to visit? (Makes a difference - if we're quiet we have more tanks available so can offer more open housereef opening times). For the housereef dives, most places in Lembeh have a reasonably good housereef dive. Be sure to contact the resorts and ask them about their housereef charges and opening times. Charges will vary depending on the package you take, the more boat dives you pay for the higher likelyhood of getting at least 1 free housereef dive a day (in smaller places). Also, are you travelling alone? I dont think anyone offers guaranteed solo diving on their housereef - we try to assess people on both their comfort level and potential environmental impact before letting them head out on the housereef alone! :) Black Sands in TK is a very good location, no doubt about it, especially if you love black sand. KBR is also very good, but i think has current from time to time - beautiful seafans amongst other things. For us we have a mix of mangrove, seagrass, algaebeds, muck, coral and wrecks. I have a video i shot over a couple of dives last week, please see below: [video=vimeo;33236133]http://vimeo.com/33236133[/video] Hopefully I've been impartial enough :) Blue Ring Season is right now!

Last edited:
Holey moley Simon, all in a day's "work", eh? Nice job on the video. The HD looked really good, not to mention the subject matter. What a "backyard" :eyebrow: ! // ww

I don't know if KBR has changed their policies, but we had unlimited house reef diving during basically daylight hours, at no additional charge.

Im not looking for boutique (so prob no KBR for me), but small/mid and cosy resort with good food and guides.

Then NAD is the place to be!

Beautiful video Simon. The Lembeh Sea Dragon footage is outstanding. I miss NAD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom