Airport Security scrutiny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diggerled

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went through security early on Saturday 12/10 at CZM. Half of our group had carry on bags searched. I have never seen scrutiny like this anywhere. They were mostly just looking at batteries, tools, electronic devises and such. Most (not all) passed. I even had my wallet searched. I lost a liquid container (4oz) that was over the limit in size even though it was almost empty. One buddy lost all his toiletries because they were in sandwich size bags (3 sandwich vs one quart size). Another had to go back out and find another member of the group to check his tool kit (some were specialized rebreather tools). Other items lost were 2 six inch crescent wrenches, and a camera battery with an illegible label.

I usually place my wallet, phone, watch and belt in my bag instead of emptying my pockets at the scanner. I believe this action is what got me stopped. I won't change this practice because it has always worked everywhere else.

When we were in line to check in we were given a placard to read that described all the items that are technically not permitted. I just blew it off because "they are never that strict". Well, they are strict in Cozumel now. I would suggest rereading the guidelines and adhere to them completely without exception. It will help the line move faster.

With regards to containers, the regulations applies regardless of how much is in them, "world wide".

The reason its not supposed to be more than 100ml, with or without content, is because youre not supposed to be able to mix explosives in it...

And the rule for liquids is ONE ziploc bag - you wouldn't even get through Houston or Dallas with 3 sandwich sized bags if they discovered them - because it exceeds the allowable limit by world air security standards now

Tools have never been allowed in carry-ons either

I personally don't understand why people complain about airport security - it's a necessary evil that only takes a few minutes more!

If my comments have been interpreted as complaining then perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. While some did complain even though the failure was there own, I have no complaints whatsoever.

We have all "gotten by" bending the rules slightly over the past decade. I am just saying at CZM this is no longer the case. At least not this past Saturday.

This is what TSA has to say about tools. I have never had an issue with small hand tools on domestic travel or Cozumel, until our last trip out of Cozumel in June. Had a small socket set confiscated & it was too inexpensive too worry about & I didn't have a checked bag anyway. Technically, it was legal. If you have any doubt, leave it behind or put in your checked bag.

ItemCarry-onChecked
Axes and HatchetsNoYes
Cattle ProdsNoYes
CrowbarsNoYes
HammersNoYes
Drills and drill bits (including cordless portable power drills)NoYes
Saws (including cordless portable power saws)NoYes
Tools (greater than seven inches in length)NoYes
Tools (seven inches or less in length)YesYes
Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length)YesYes
Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length)YesYes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.

This is what TSA has to say about tools. I have never had an issue with small hand tools on domestic travel or Cozumel, until our last trip out of Cozumel in June. Had a small socket set confiscated & it was too inexpensive too worry about & I didn't have a checked bag anyway. Technically, it was legal. If you have any doubt, leave it behind or put in your checked bag.

NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.
Personally Im more worried about preventing damages to my other checked luggage and keep it "sheathed or securely wrapped" for that reason rather than someone handling my baggage :p

Christi, the problem (in general, not coz/mx in particular) is that it takes unneccesarilly much time becuase people cant be assed to just PAY SOME F***ING ATTENTION!
Theres screens, boards and personell all over the airport and in particular the security check areas that inform you to take your jacket off, get the laptop from the bag, remove metallic objects and have them ready to be stuffed in the crates for scanning, but people just stand there like theire both deaf and daft and completely ignore the instructions and THEN they start bitching about it taking time..

I went thru security at CZM Saturday 12/10 also. I was also randomly selected for a second pat down/screen at the gate. WooHoo. Luckily no problems.
The one thing I noticed is that some people have carry-ons that are way too big, or carry on three bags. Neither of these things help speed up the line!

ItemCarry-onChecked
Axes and HatchetsNoYes
Cattle ProdsNoYes
CrowbarsNoYes
HammersNoYes
Drills and drill bits (including cordless portable power drills)NoYes
Saws (including cordless portable power saws)NoYes
Tools (greater than seven inches in length)NoYes
Tools (seven inches or less in length)YesYes
Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length)YesYes
Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length)YesYes
Thanks. Now I know I'll need to check my cattle prod. :D

Btw I flew back home from England to Norway the 27th december I think it was.
First of all of course there was people slowing down the line, but when I finally had my computer x-rayed and went through the metal detector one of the staff asked me "is this your computer?" and wanted to dust it for "residues" - I dont really need them to elaborate to know it was explosive residues they where concerned about. Got me thinking of what would happen if they did that while I was in the army..

Me: "No officer, really Im an EOD and Ammunitions soldier, thats probably why theres residues"
Armed police: "Yeah, rite - bend over"

Let me tell y'all the secret of getting out of Cozumel. Take a taxi to the airport as many hours before flight time as you can and check in. With Continental that is 9:30 am for the 12:15 flight. Now all you have is a carry on which best meet the criteria stated above. Then walk out to the traffic circle and catch a taxi back into town for a leisurely lunch or late breakfast enjoying a few more hours in Cozumel. Then go back with your carry on and boarding pass just 40 minutes before departure. You will find NO lines at any time and you won't miss your flight.

I have been doing this for 20 years and never a problem, except missing time spent at the duty free shop ( which is more expensive than buying in the states!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom