Why are PADI replacement cards so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had my card since 1982 and I guess it's about time for me to replace it. But $37???? I'll take another level of certification before I pay that stupid of a price. I'll just keep my DL with me when I go to get fills or whatever since the picture doesn't match me anymore. Are the other agencies that high?

Well I messed up that title. Could someone with authority fix it? It should "Why are PADI replacement cards so high". Thanks.

You go git em

They should be free like the stuff in dive shops

You go git em

They should be free like the stuff in dive shops

Ok, I work at a high school where we make these cards all the time. $37 is too high, period. I'm saying they should be free, but not $37. Go back to drinking your beer.

Does your high school also post them globally?

Does it also maintain a globally accessible database, on dedicated servers, so that the card can be printed on demand?

I'm not saying that $37 is fair... I couldn't guess at what PADI's profit margin was on replacement cards.... but printing, shipping and recording a replacement c-card isn't comparable with your high school owning a card-printer and knocking off a few IDs for local distribution to staff.

It's a business. Supplies, equipment, personnel, benefits, overhead and profit all add up. Have you tried to maintain an employee in California lately? Some agencies may do it for less. PADI charges what they charge.

If you need a card to match your face, pony up. If vanity is not at a premium these days, just smile, pull out your DL or passport and tell 'em you dyed your hair. I've never been to a LDS, resort or charter that looked at my young face on my C-Card and my old face on the dock and refused me service.

willing buyer willing seller....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom